55 gal set-up and cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for cheering me on, Librarygirl and zparticle! It makes the waiting more bearable. I rinsed the filter out like suggested but either can't get into where it's clogged or it's a defective unit. so I'll return it to PetsMart later.

In the meantime I am drooling over the fish at liveauquaria.com. Too bad the shipping is so much.

Is the filter that isn't running one that hangs on the back? I had a problem with on of mine where some sand got inside and jammed the internal fan that moves the water. I forced a bunch of water into it at the sink and that fixed it. Not sure what filters you are using.

The filter may have jammed where I can't get to it, so i just exchanged it at PetsMart.

While I was there i checked out the tanks and was pretty impressed. This particular PetsMart seems to do a good job with keeping the tanks clean. I saw some silver dollars there that I would love. Since they are mid to top swimmers, I think they may do for my centerpiece fish.

Stocking plan on the 55 gal:

6 julli cories
12 neon tetras
6 male fancy guppies
2 silver dollars (I am still researching these. Don't know how many need to be together.

Never mind on the silver dollars. Just found out they grow to 8" and need to be in schools of 5.

Still thinking of risking a pair of male angelfish once the neons get bigger. I know the angles may consider them food.

Just for information, you can pull the pipe assembly out of HOB filters. Just hold the HOB body and pull up. After time they get all slimy and clogged up. I took mine out and cleaned them in bleach in the bathroom. If you clean them out with bleach, wash it off with water real good. Dont get bleach in the tank or near the filter! It will ruin the biofilter. Also, you can use a small tooth brush to clean the inside pipes.

jen31972 said:
The filter may have jammed where I can't get to it, so i just exchanged it at PetsMart.

While I was there i checked out the tanks and was pretty impressed. This particular PetsMart seems to do a good job with keeping the tanks clean. I saw some silver dollars there that I would love. Since they are mid to top swimmers, I think they may do for my centerpiece fish.

Stocking plan on the 55 gal:

6 julli cories
12 neon tetras
6 male fancy guppies
2 silver dollars (I am still researching these. Don't know how many need to be together.

Are u getting fish from PetSmart? I would recommend tryin to find an actual fish store near by the and check it out b4 u decide on your fish. Its nice bc they normally know a little more and have healthier fish and a different selection :) there are 2 PetSmarts near me and one seems to be a little more Knowledgeable than the other... I just really like the fish only stores and I have had much better luck with their fish... Just my experiences and advice ;)

Can't wait to see your tank up and running :)

Thanks, guys.

The only LFS is about 45-55 min away. I was there the other day to scope out what they had in terms of stocking. They look good and will definitely use them. I guess it depends on who has what I'm looking for.

I would really like julli cories. The LFS has 2 and PetCo has 2. I know I need five or six to make them happy. (it's a 55 gal that I'm cycling). But I only have one QT so I need to get all my cories from one place.

Day 8: lots of action now :)

Temp. 84
Ph. 7.4 (watching carefully and I will do a pwc when it starts dropping)
Ammo. 1.0
Nitrite. 5+
Nitrate. 10

Getting excited!

Thanks, guys.

The only LFS is about 45-55 min away. I was there the other day to scope out what they had in terms of stocking. They look good and will definitely use them. I guess it depends on who has what I'm looking for.

I would really like julli cories. The LFS has 2 and PetCo has 2. I know I need five or six to make them happy. (it's a 55 gal that I'm cycling). But I only have one QT so I need to get all my cories from one place.

Day 8: lots of action now :)

Temp. 84
Ph. 7.4 (watching carefully and I will do a pwc when it starts dropping)
Ammo. 1.0
Nitrite. 5+
Nitrate. 10

Getting excited!

Wow! That's great for day 8 lol

Added a pinch of fish food, pulverized, to tank just in case the bacteria need something nutritionally that they aren't getting.

You're doing everything perfect and are on a great time line :). The first time I cycled, I had no2 on about day 8-9...and they spiked shortly after. Looks great!

Day 9:

Temp 84
Ph 7.4 (as always)
Ammo 0!
Nitrite 5+ (turned purple quick)
Nitrate 20! (double from yesterday)

The first fish to go in will be the three neon tetras from my son's 5 gal tank. Then I'll get more neons and QT them in the 5 gal.

Day 9:

Temp 84
Ph 7.4 (as always)
Ammo 0!
Nitrite 5+ (turned purple quick)
Nitrate 20! (double from yesterday)

The first fish to go in will be the three neon tetras from my son's 5 gal tank. Then I'll get more neons and QT them in the 5 gal.

That's great! I bet you got a good sponge like I did from AP. :dance:

Yep! AnglesPlus must have really sent me a good one!

Since I won't be testing tomorrow (I don't test on Shabbos) I added a little ammonia to keep the BB happy. In an hour or so I'll check it to see where I am. I did NOT put a whole capful in this time, lol!

Jen, looks like your tank is really making progress.

Thanks to Eco's article on fishless cycling and everyone else's contributions and BB vibes! :) :)

Yes, it's pretty awesome. Going to go check the ammonia level now. Hope I didn't use too much.

I don't think a pwc is needed for a few days...but if you feel the urge to do one, make it large enough to knock the nitrIte down to .5-1 (might take 80-90% pwc). Don't be surprised when it jumps right back up to 5+ though within a day though.

Back
Top Bottom