55 gallon start up questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
:oops:I acquired a used 55 gallon tank...and I have questions to get it up and running. also, this is going to be a cichlid tank and would love suggestions on which cichlids to buy. I already have a yellow lab and 2 others which I have sadly forgotten there kind.

q 1: how do you correctly clean a used tank?
q 2: can u use a used filter or best to buy new?
q 3: best filtratiion?
q 4: what is a python and how does it work? I keep hearing for bigger tanks its best to have one but, im unsure why.
q 5: do you have to fill a tank fully to know if it leaks? if so how long? and how do you empty such a big amount of water?

ok, well thats all I can think of now... I appreciate the help!

The pythons are amazing lol. I have one for my 55g. If were talking about the same thing lol mine I can hook up the end if it to the sunk and use it to fill my tank or if I'm doin a water change/ gravel vac I can switch it to syphon all the water and stuff out. Beats the heck outta buckets.

missie said:
how do u declhlorinate the water with a python?

Add your water condition directly to the tank before re filling it. Dose for the entire tank not what you took out. So a 55 gallon if you took out 10,20,30% you still dose for 55 gallons.

Put enough in to treat the entire tank before you fill it again. I use prime and just dump a cap full in and a few more drops just to be safe then filler up. Its cake

To clean a used tank I use a mixture of vinegar and water and for stubborn spots a razor blade.

+1 on what jakedalab said about the Python and I have a 30 gallon tanks and used one.

q1 To clean a used tank lots of water No soap. Vinegar can be used be sure to rinse well.

q2 I Bought new and I also bought used hang on back filters. If you buy used if possible test it before you buy it. Other than that only difference in my opinion is peace of mind and warranty wehn buying new. Money savings when buying used.
q3 not sure My guess would be a canister filter
q4 jakedalab answered it well.
q5 I would fill the tank fully for a leak test. I would have it hold water at least a day or 2. To empty a tank that size I would use the python and if I was in a hurry I would assist with buckets.

I personally have never used a canister so I can't give you any really useful info about them. But from what I've heard they are really very good filters. The way I understand it they can sit below your tank and have two tubes that go to your tank. One taking water from the tank to the filter the other from filter to the tank. I may be wrong some please correct me if I am.

so for my 55 I bought a filter for 90 gallons is that okay or should i run a second filter that came used with the tank..i think its for 55 gallons... please any info on filtration is appreciaited... also, if ppl know anything about cichlids....please advise on # of fish capable in a well filtrated 55 . oooo, and am i supposed to rinse filter pads everymonth ??? my lfs advised me too, however i dont trust them at all!!!

Convict... how much does a canister usually run??? and is it considered better filtration than a carbon one?

missie said:
so for my 55 I bought a filter for 90 gallons is that okay or should i run a second filter that came used with the tank..i think its for 55 gallons... please any info on filtration is appreciaited... also, if ppl know anything about cichlids....please advise on # of fish capable in a well filtrated 55 . oooo, and am i supposed to rinse filter pads everymonth ??? my lfs advised me too, however i dont trust them at all!!!

Rinse your filters in old tanks water then just put them back. Do not replace them until there literally falling apart. You can run both filters if you want. No such thing as too much filtration. What kind of cichlids?

Its good to rinse them as long as you do it in a bucket of tank water. Don't do it in tap water or you kill your bb. Keep the filters till they are just falling apart. If it were me and the used filter works I would use it to. No such thing as over filtering.

missie said:
Convict... how much does a canister usually run??? and is it considered better filtration than a carbon one?

You can run carbon in one of the trays o the canister if you choose to. The canister gives you more options. For the HOB's I like the aquaclears. I had a 55 gallon Cichlid tank and ran 2 AC 110's! But I had an overstocked African Cichlid tank. Then I upgraded to my 75 gallon and went with the canister.

well, i have a yellow lab and 3 that I sadly dont remember there names. they are pretty small yet maybe 2 in a piece. hence, the need for a 55 . it seems the canister filters have a cleaner look to them...do they cost about the same as a carbon filter? if so, i may return my 90 gallon for a canister filter.

Back
Top Bottom