55 gallon start up questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jakedalab said:
Lol maybe I'll just leave this up to convict. Seems we both have the same thong to say at the same time.

Haha this is too funny!! LOL and edit your "thong" lol!! :)

ok, next question! :) Lighting. I know nearly nothing about appropriate lighting as I have a 20 gallon tank and just upgraded the filter...everything else came in a kit. ..... what is appropriate lighting to a cichlid tank?

Not doing a planted tank...thats a hole new subject I havent attempted yet. We bought rock for the tank today...blue and black. not sure how many lbs we need.... but just looking for something to make the fishies happy and colorful, thanks thus far for the great advice!

missie said:
well, i have a yellow lab and 3 that I sadly dont remember there names. they are pretty small yet maybe 2 in a piece. hence, the need for a 55 . it seems the canister filters have a cleaner look to them...do they cost about the same as a carbon filter? if so, i may return my 90 gallon for a canister filter.

If it were me if go with a canister. You don't have to go extreme and go with the fx5 though. But I pulled up some prices for you. Like I said and this is JMO I had HOB's from the start and I live the canister and I see no reason to go back to HOB's unless I have a smaller tank. It's just amazing and doesn't make a sound.

http://www.google.com/m/products/ca...=dQAGT67mBsXs0gHh-LCxAg&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAQ#prd:o

Missie keep in mind you cannot over-filter your water, but you can under-filter. All the advise dispensed so far has been the same advice I have seen on other threads here. Also remember that filtration will not replace the need for water changes.

oo those canisters are pretty pricey. I might have to keep that on the back burner for now ... how many lbs or rock do i need for a 55 ?

missie said:
ok, next question! :) Lighting. I know nearly nothing about appropriate lighting as I have a 20 gallon tank and just upgraded the filter...everything else came in a kit. ..... what is appropriate lighting to a cichlid tank?

That "missie" is TOTALLY up to you!! lol. I went WAY overboard with a Solarmax Xtreme with moonlights, 4 T5 HO(high output) lights. 2 10k daylights and 2 actinic bulbs. You absolutely do not need this light. I just like gadgets.

View attachment 68838

View attachment 68839

View attachment 68840

View attachment 68841

It has 4 settings an the digital timer I set it and forget it. It also has a manual override and a cooling fan. You can find much cheaper lights. I like the T5's personally.

I also keep 14 Anubias and 2 java fern plants.

Last edited:
Missie keep in mind you cannot over-filter your water, but you can under-filter. All the advise dispensed so far has been the same advice I have seen on other threads here. Also remember that filtration will not replace the need for water changes.

would i be over filtrating my tank if i used a 90 gallon and a 55? I do reg water changes .

missie said:
would i be over filtrating my tank if i used a 90 gallon and a 55? I do reg water changes .

Not at all!!! I would run another filter. You have the old one just use it. Test your water and do your water changes. I use to do 2-3 a week now I'm doing 1 every weekend.

That "missie" is TOTALLY up to you!! lol. I went WAY overboard with a Solarmax Xtreme with moonlights, 4 T5 HO(high output) lights. 2 10k daylights and 2 actinic bulbs. You absolutely do not need this light. I just like gadgets.

View attachment 68838

View attachment 68839

View attachment 68840

View attachment 68841

It has 4 settings an the digital timer I set it and forget it. It also has a manual override and a cooling fan. You can find much cheaper lights. I like the T5's personally.

I also keep 14 Anubias and 2 java fern plants.

lights look amazing! !!!

We got the tank used. ..there is an ugly background on there which somehow i plan on getting off... what would u paint it with??? I think thats a good idea! tank still empty. still trying to scub it clean clean clean!!:)

Most say at least a 1/4" in the bottom. I got two and a half 20# bags in the bottom of mine and it suits me and my fish fine. But its really up to you how much you want. I don't think you can put to much in.

missie said:
We got the tank used. ..there is an ugly background on there which somehow i plan on getting off... what would u paint it with??? I think thats a good idea! tank still empty. still trying to scub it clean clean clean!!:)

Krylon spray paint will work just fine. Clean the back with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

rubbing alcohol on tank??? wont that cause issue down the road or nooo??

Back
Top Bottom