55 gallon start up questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
missie said:
rubbing alcohol on tank??? wont that cause issue down the road or nooo??

On the outside of the tank. Not the inside. Your painted the outside back of tank. Your right nothing inside of the tank.

Missie I don't see anything wrong with your idea to use both of those filters. Clean water is your fish best friend.
THe rubbinh alcohol would be used on the outside of the tank.

is 60 lbs of rock ok? I think were going to buy a black background...the color scheme will be awesome!

I have childlid rocks in my 20. most of the decoration is moving to the 55 for good bacteria... plan on having loots of hiding!

ok.... s0. just bought of bunch or rock and decor for the tank. is it better to put it in my cycled tank 1st to build up bacteria faster(if thats possible) or just put it in the 55 gallon im beginning to cycle?

second q : lame me.... didnt put in the heater last night when i was setting everything up.. i put in my seeding material( filter pad, decor etc) so, did i kill a bunch of good bacteria by not having the heater in for 12 hours?

I'm a beginner but i think you didnt kill any BB, a heater just makes the BB grow faster. Correct me i'm wrong !

No I wouldn't think you killed any off. The way I understand it is the warm water just helps the bb grow faster. And about the rocks I don't see why you couldn't put them in the old tank for a bit then transfer them over. I don't know how much good it will do as most of your bb lives in the filter media. But it certainly can't hurt anything I don't think.

If you were to put the rocks in the "seasoned" tank so they could get some bb it would have to be in that tank for quite a while I would imagine weeks.
It certainly wont hurt things unless there is something going on in the other tanks (sickness)

I put 2 decorations in my 20 gallon. Is it better to put some gravel, rocks or even a small fake plant in the filter to build bacteria or just put it in the tank?

2. so I have a marineland 400 for up to 90 gallons. it was too long to use all the pieces so i took off the middle section of the part that goes in the tank? is that ok?

cycling is natural most bacteria in a bottle is chemicals(not natural) best way is to go to your lfs get some benificial bacteria and be paitent...so hard so worth it....adding bb chemicals could also reset your cycling process....when i bought my tank i had 3 bottles of bottled bb. Still have all 3 sealed.

Back
Top Bottom