Am I cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!

I'm doing my first fishless cycle and am not sure if I have arrived. It's a 3 gallon bowl with an undergravel filter (frequent water changes are not a problem.) I seeded the tank with filter media from my established 56 gallon tank.

I started my cycle about one week ago. Two mornings ago (that would make it Tuesday morning), I had to add some ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. I added about 2-3 ppm's of ammonia. On Wednesday morning my ammonia was 0, nitrIte was .25, nitrAte was between 40 & 80 (I swear the colors are identical!) Wednesday morning I added about 2-3 ppm's of ammonia again. Thursday morning, today, my ammonia was 0, nitrIte was 0, nitrAte was between 40 and 80. Am I cycled? Is my nitrate too high?

thanks in advance!!

You should be. Nitrate is a little high, best to keep it 40 or lower but that can be easily taken care of by pwcs which is pretty much the only way to lower it.

Unless someone recently changed the formula, zero's across the board and +20 NO3 is the "cycle is complete" formula. Just a note: I believe you could have stocked the tank immediately since you used media from the 55 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom