Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rook7893

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank for a little over a month now and besides my own mistakes as a 'newbie' and an outbreak of ick it's been going fairly well. Recently I've noticed my tank is murky and I'm not sure why. I did about a 25% water change in hopes it would clear up but its not much better. I've also changed the carbon and cleaned out the filter in general. I'm I missing something? Any body have any advice on what I should do?

Yes I've been testting it about once a week and all the levels seemed normal.

Yes it's cloudy. And I could test it later but I usually just go to the local Petco or Petsmart.

How did you cycle the tank? One of the most important things to keeping fish is a test kit. You really need to buy one and if you do don't buy the strips. Most of us here recommend using the api master test kit. Does your lfs use the strips? I know most of them here do. What kind of substrate do you have? And do you have wood in the tank?

Yes they use the strips. I have a lower level of sand and a top layer of gravel for my substrate. I originally had sand because I had been told when first getting my tank sand or gravel wouldn't matter but I found out sand is more for marine so i just put gravel over the top.
I don't have any wood in the tank.
Not really sure what you mean by how did I cycle my tank. I've been sing a bacteria supplement but that's about it.

rook7893 said:
Yes they use the strips. I have a lower level of sand and a top layer of gravel for my substrate. I originally had sand because I had been told when first getting my tank sand or gravel wouldn't matter but I found out sand is more for marine so i just put gravel over the top.
I don't have any wood in the tank.
Not really sure what you mean by how did I cycle my tank. I've been sing a bacteria supplement but that's about it.

Your tank still needs to cycle even though your using BB. Here are some links to catch you up on that.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

You really need to get a test kit soon, in the mean time id be doing daily water changes of 25-50%. I think that's all its doing is trying to cycle and that's why your fish got sick and the water is cloudy. You'll be doing tests after tests and more tests during the cycle and I'm sure you don't want to run to the lfs everyday a couple times a day.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

That link was EXTREMELY helpful. Would the API master test kit be a good kit to buy?
Also while I'm thinkin about it I really appreciate all this help thank you.

rook7893 said:
That link was EXTREMELY helpful. Would the API master test kit be a good kit to buy?
Also while I'm thinkin about it I really appreciate all this help thank you.

No problem! That's what I use and most of us here. Good luck and I hope it gets better :)

Back
Top Bottom