can it be this long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
so...day 29 of cycle...ph stable at 7.6...ammonia 0....nitrites 5ppm!!!...its been like that for 14 days....no trace of nitrAtes....been doing water changes daily...is it ever gonna happen??? cant stand the thought of my 2 little platies swimming around in that kind of water... :(

As long as you still have nitrites, you are not done yet. Hang in there for a bit longer. I know how you must feel. You will get there.

good luck!

How large is your tank? Larger tanks take longer to cycle.

It took me 6 weeks to cycle my 29 gal tank. Be patient. It will come eventually.

nice to hear words of support when ur just about to loose that little bit of patience u had left...hehe...thanks! (y)

I know what you mean patagonia. There have been many times where I just wanted to toss in the towel and scream. When things go right, it's great. I'd say just hold out for a couple more weeks or a month. You should show progress. From what I've been told, it happens quickly once you have Nitrites.

you're lucky. mines been running for a bit over a month and i'm still dealing with ammonia and no nitrites.

been vacuuming the gravel and doing water changes daily. i've got the ammonia down to 2. just last week the ammonia was 8+.
filter is due to be changed tomorrow.

Don't change the filter. Whatever you do, do NOT change the filter. That is why the tank isn't cycling. I'm going to send you a PM.

David- I sent you a PM about cycling. I hope it's helpful. If you have any more questions, let me know or post them.

yeah dont change the filter...i didnt touch mine since i first set up the tank...and for the first 2 weels i didnt do any water changes (as recommended here) since the ammonia spike only reached 0.50ppm...and now is 0...is just nitrites are way off the color chart now and that is what has me worried...if it was a fishless cycle...then ok...no problem...BUT IT IS NOT...i wish the guys at ANY fish store were a little more considerate about fish and tell you before hand...at least to people like me who had no idea about fish at the beginning...but like someone said chances are they were probable flipping burgers before selling fish so....good luck david...keep us posted....and thanks again everybody for the support.... :D

Back
Top Bottom