cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjrom1022

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank that i have been letting cycle for a month. I didn't do much testing (which was a BIG mistake) but i put food in it every week and before I had 0 ammonia or Nitrites. i didnt test for nitrates (which i now also realize was a BIG mistake). I have two other fish tanks with one goldfish in them each, and i had never cycled a tank without fish in it before because i got both goldfish unplanned for. Anyways, I added 7 neon tetras to the tank. on the second day, there was .25 ammonia, and no nitrite. i did a 20% water change. Then on the third day there was .25 ammonia, and .25 nitrate. So, i did a 50% water change (i also have live plants, so i took out as much plant debris as possible). Then i put only cycled water from my other fish tank back in. Today, on day four, ammonia and nitrite is both at 0. i dont have a nitrate testing kit, which im assuming i need. But, from what i explained, does it seem like my tank is cycled? sorry if this was confusing! Thank you

I am not sure I am totally following. Are you adding fish to an established cycled tank? If so, the spike in bioload could certainly be adjusted to in a few days.

Alternatively, if this is an additional tank, then the chance of it being cycled in a few days is close to none. Moving water from a cycled tank is not going to do much for you either way.

sorry for the confusion. i added fish to what i think is a cycled tank, but im not sure since i didn't do much testing during the month of cycling. but i think what you said about the levels rising because of the new bio load is right.

Back
Top Bottom