cycling and stocking my new five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what to use for quarantine containers and stuff. I will post the water parameter's of the new tank as soon as I get home.

Just got home. I went and looked at the new tank. The food I left in it got all weird. Should I take out the bio media from the other tank yet? I will test the water. I don't think that the filter does a very good job at getting crap from the bottom. It isn't a very high flow rate. I also attached a picture of the filter, to show why I can't put it on my bigger tank.

I don't think it filters enough water from the bottom. There is still a bunch of crap there, after more than 4 days. How could I fix this? Someone please suggest something... maybe ill get a canister filter of some kind and hide it in the back so it doesn't ruin the beauty of the tank. I will post parameters shortly.

Ok, just tested the water;
Ph; off the charts, so I did high range too.
High range ph; 8
Ammonia; 2.0 ppm
Nitrite; .25 ppm
Nitrate; 0.2 ppm

I put an old ten gallon filter on the side of the new tank so it filters better. So problem solved. Is anyone even reading this anymore?

Lol, I think you chased everyone away. Looks like you've got more cycling to do in the Chi. Did you add the fish food directly in? It wasn't in a bag or anything? I'd leave the bio-media in, and once it cycles, take it out a tiny bit at a time until it's all gone. You don't want to pull it out all at once regardless of when you do it.

eco23 said:
Lol, I think you chased everyone away. Looks like you've got more cycling to do in the Chi. Did you add the fish food directly in? It wasn't in a bag or anything? I'd leave the bio-media in, and once it cycles, take it out a tiny bit at a time until it's all gone. You don't want to pull it out all at once regardless of when you do it.

I guess I have chased everyone away... :( oops... sorry.... I just gravel vacuumed and added a better filter. It is clearing up the stuff stirred up with the gravel vac super fast. It is only 90 mph but im pretty sure that's more than plenty for a five gallon. Idk what the flow rate of the stock filter is... ill try to look it up.

Im gonna make a new thread because I chased everybody away from this one. I didn't mean to... but apparently I did... ill call the new thread "cycling and stocking my new five gallon"

I just got a fluval chi five gallon tank. It is very pretty, and sort of pricey, but I like how pretty it is at night (ill post a picture of that). I seeded it and put some food in about 4 days ago. I just tested the water earlier today. Ill post parameters soon. I would like some help and advice with cycling and stocking. I don't have an airstone because the stock filter and fountain shoot a little water up and it falls down and splashes into the tank. It makes a nice trickle noise. The stock filter wasn't strong enough because the food I put it four days ago was still there after four days and it go all white and slimey. I put on the old filter from my current ten gallon community tank ( I have a better one on the ten now). The water moves alot more now. I am open to many kinds of fish, accept betas because I already have two of them. I want to have more than one fish in there. I will be posting water parameters daily, and probably describe the water color and stuff too.

Homedog98 said:
is this JUST a display tank?

Yes. You guys talked/me out of that stupid idea. Im sorry I was so rude... I realized I could use my buckets and tupperwares if I need to quarantine a fish. Haha. I don't see why I didn't think of that before. What fish do you recommend?

Hello,

There are many fish tank can go into a 5 gallon tank, including: Male betta, sparkling gourami, endlers, chili rasbora, etc.

Crypto said:
Hello,

There are many fish tank can go into a 5 gallon tank, including: Male betta, sparkling gourami, endlers, chili rasbora, etc.

Are endlers guppies? Also I thought pretty much all gouramis were too big for a five. I guess not? Are sparkling gouramis peaceful? Or semi aggressive?

Wow! I just looked at a picture of a chili rasbora and it was pretty! I guess that's surprising to me because the only raspbora I have seen before is a micro rasbora. They aren't as pretty.

Hello,

Endler's livebearers are just like guppies except more bright in color and much smaller.

Sparkling gouramis can go in a 5 gallon (Since they only get 1.5 inches), but I guess that is your choice. They are quite peaceful, not aggressive at all (Make sure to have a good ratio of Males and females though)

This is what it looks like so far. I will add more plants in a couple days.

:) well, considering you don't seem to like the basics, I highly suggest looking at some varieties of micro-fish. Now, this does mean you'll have to order online, but really, it's nothing to worry about. I know chili rasboras seem to be a favorite, and celestial pearl danios if I'm right are ok too. You could probably have anywhere from 6-12 micro-fish in that tank. :) also, for a cleanup crew, I know you won't like it too much, but shrimp are really cool. I didn't like them much at first either... But after I saw red cherry shrimp... My opinion changed lol. Some LFS's stock them, but you may need to order them online as well. Snails are also good for cleaning. Nerite snails are my suggestion, since they don't breed in freshwater. That means no invasion lol. Now, if for some reason you can't order online... You'll be really be restricted on options. A betta and shrimp is basically it for a 5 gallon if you can't order online. (that is... Unless you have an extremely exotic LFS lol)

Crypto said:
Hello,

Endler's livebearers are just like guppies except more bright in color and much smaller.

Sparkling gouramis can go in a 5 gallon (Since they only get 1.5 inches), but I guess that is your choice. They are quite peaceful, not aggressive at all (Make sure to have a good ratio of Males and females though)

Oh. Do endless happen to sometimes have polka dots?

Hello,

I think you might want to put that bamboo up a little more. I've heard that the leaves need to be out of the water so they will not rot and create ammonia.,

Back
Top Bottom