cycling and stocking my new five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxwellag said:
Are endlers guppies? Also I thought pretty much all gouramis were too big for a five. I guess not? Are sparkling gouramis peaceful? Or semi aggressive?

Sparkling gouramis are really small... Like an inch long I think. I'm not really an expert on them though, but I think you need more then one...

Snails are also good for cleaning. Nerite snails are my suggestion, since they don't breed in freshwater.

I wouldn't recommend a nerite snail unless there is some established algae for it to much on first ;)

A betta and shrimp is basically it for a 5 gallon if you can't order online.

It really depends on the betta's personality type if it can coexist with the shrimp (I know that RCS won't go on that long if the betta is shrimp hungry)
My comments in blue :D

Homedog98 said:
It's ok. :) well, considering you don't seem to like the basics, I highly suggest looking at some varieties of micro-fish. Now, this does mean you'll have to order online, but really, it's nothing to worry about. I know chili rasboras seem to be a favorite, and celestial pearl danios if I'm right are ok too. You could probably have anywhere from 6-12 micro-fish in that tank. :) also, for a cleanup crew, I know you won't like it too much, but shrimp are really cool. I didn't like them much at first either... But after I saw red cherry shrimp... My opinion changed lol. Some LFS's stock them, but you may need to order them online as well. Snails are also good for cleaning. Nerite snails are my suggestion, since they don't breed in freshwater. That means no invasion lol. Now, if for some reason you can't order online... You'll be really be restricted on options. A betta and shrimp is basically it for a 5 gallon if you can't order online. (that is... Unless you have an extremely exotic LFS lol)

I can order online but what I am afraid of is shipping costs. I looks into ordering one fish and it said shipping was gonna be 60$. : / I have a really exotic fish store twenty minutes away. I will go there sometime in the next month. I saw nerite snails there but I think they were in saltwater. Im not sure though. If the snails are in saltwater at the store can I still put them into my tank? I have seen some shrimp there too. Not sure about cherry shrimp though. Do you know of any online stores for fish that don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping?

I can order online but what I am afraid of is shipping costs. I looks into ordering one fish and it said shipping was gonna be 60$. : / I have a really exotic fish store twenty minutes away. I will go there sometime in the next month. I saw nerite snails there but I think they were in saltwater. Im not sure though. If the snails are in saltwater at the store can I still put them into my tank? I have seen some shrimp there too. Not sure about cherry shrimp though. Do you know of any online stores for fish that don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping?

Nerites can be acclimated over to FW, but it's a very long process. If you could ask the pet store to get some FW ones for you, it would be much easier.

Not sure about the online stores though

Crypto said:
Hello,

I think you might want to put that bamboo up a little more. I've heard that the leaves need to be out of the water so they will not rot and create ammonia.,

Ok, ill move the bamboo back into the plant tray at the top. The fountain shoots water thru a whole to the roots. It kinda ruins the whole sparkling bubbly water thing tho... oh well. Ill post a pic after I move it.

Crypto said:
Nerites can be acclimated over to FW, but it's a very long process. If you could ask the pet store to get some FW ones for you, it would be much easier.

Not sure about the online stores though

Ok. I will have to research online stores tomorrow.

Are there any cichlids or gouramis that are colorful that I could put in there? Also what about killifish?

Hello,

Killifish need at least a 10 gallon tank to thrive.
I wrote in her quote, but I highlighted my words in blue.

maxwellag said:
What do u mean your comments in blue??

He was critiquing what I said. :) it's cool though. Severum mama and Hn1 (married) own their own fish store. Pm either one of them and they can talk nano fish with you. They're really cheap shipping and do a really good job :)

maxwellag said:

If the nerites are in salt water, don't but them. :) find freshwater ones instead. :)

Crypto said:
How'd ja know I was a He? :cool:

The way you typed lol. Bet you didn't know i'm a she ;) lol. And P.S... I wouldn't put endlers in anything less then a ten gallon... They get too big, and he couldn't have multiples. :)

Crypto said:
Hello,

Killifish need at least a 10 gallon tank to thrive.
I wrote in her quote, but I highlighted my words in blue.

Oh... lol I sometimes get confused.

Could I put a killifish or two in my ten gallon community? I have a peppered cory, a sunburst mickey mouse platy, and 3 guppies. But only one is normal guppy size. The other two are a fancy guppy-endler cross breed I think. They are smaller and have polka dots. One of them has a weird tail. Its like half of a whale tail.

Homedog98 said:
The way you typed lol. Bet you didn't know i'm a she ;) lol. And P.S... I wouldn't put endlers in anything less then a ten gallon... They get too big, and he couldn't have multiples. :)

Yeah, I thought I had seen the words in colons like :this: before.

maxwellag said:
Could I put a killifish or two in my ten gallon community? I have a peppered cory, a sunburst mickey mouse platy, and 3 guppies. But only one is normal guppy size. The other two are a fancy guppy-endler cross breed I think. They are smaller and have polka dots. One of them has a weird tail. Its like half of a whale tail.

They like to be in groups... And i'd call that tank stocked, so I guess you'll just have to buy more tanks! Lol. (ps... That Cory needs a 20 gallon and 4 more buddies... Just saying)

I moved the bamboo to the plant tray at the top. I tried to show how it gets water from the filter fountain.

Homedog98 said:
They like to be in groups... And i'd call that tank stocked, so I guess you'll just have to buy more tanks! Lol. (ps... That Cory needs a 20 gallon and 4 more buddies... Just saying)

I wish my brother had know that before he got it. My lfs (my only one in town) told him he could put him in a one gallon. Haha. I was like "don't listen to them! They don't know crap!" So the best we could do for him was move him to the ten... my mom wont let me get a bigger tank then a ten. :( I will look on the livestock websites... I looked once and there were hundreds of species I have never even heard of before. Petsmart needs to grow up. Haha

Back
Top Bottom