cycling and stocking my new five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
you could put least killifish or pygmy killifish in a 5g.

Ok... I might do that. I thought they have to be in groups though?

Here are the water parameters as of the last test:
ph; 8
Ammonia; 2.0 ppm
Nitrite; .25 ppm
Nitrate; 0.2 ppm

The way you typed lol. Bet you didn't know i'm a she ;) lol. And P.S... I wouldn't put endlers in anything less then a ten gallon... They get too big, and he couldn't have multiples. :)

Nope, I knew you were. I have been monitoring these forums for quite sometime. Your name is Lauren ;)

They like to be in groups... And i'd call that tank stocked, so I guess you'll just have to buy more tanks! Lol. (ps... That Cory needs a 20 gallon and 4 more buddies... Just saying)

Killifish don't really need to be in groups, but more of pairs

Could I put a killifish or two in my ten gallon community? I have a peppered cory, a sunburst mickey mouse platy, and 3 guppies. But only one is normal guppy size. The other two are a fancy guppy-endler cross breed I think. They are smaller and have polka dots. One of them has a weird tail. Its like half of a whale tail.

What type of killifish? Some, like the Gardneri's for example, don't do well in many community settings.

Nope, I knew you were. I have been monitoring these forums for quite sometime. Your name is Lauren ;)

Killifish don't really need to be in groups, but more of pairs

There are so many types of killifish, that statement is really inaccurate.

Gardneri's for example, I would recommend keeping 3 females to 1 male...definitely no less than 2. If it were one on one she would never catch a break.

siva said:
What type of killifish? Some, like the Gardneri's for example, don't do well in many community settings.

It would probably have to be pygmy killifish. But it would still probably get too big.

I just looked in my book that tells how to set up and cycle and everything. It shows fish and plant species and the only killifish in there is lyretail. It says it is best kept in ph of below 7.5 and a hardness of 18 DH.

In the book I have the only killi they have in there is lyretail. It looks hard to care for in the description. I want to make this a fully planted tank. My ten gallon community is only partially. It only has one plant, but hopefully that will change next time I go to my lfs. Hopefully I can go the the one that is twenty minutes away because they are way better and have double the species. Accept they had some painted glass fish. :( aren't they injected with coloring? If I go to one of the stores today I will try to get some dwarf helzine plant to make a nice carpet. Does anyone suggest any other plants?

Hello,

Yes, the colored glass fish are injected with coloring; It's a very painful process for the fish.
I have a pair of lyretail killifish (Orange Australe) and they are pretty hardy and easy to keep.

Also I actually do like micro rasboras. I thought they were harlequin rasboras, which are not nearly as colorful. I looks in my fish book and it didn't have micro rasbora but it had harlequin so I decide to look at a picture of micro online. It is cool. But I don't know if my lfs or better but farther away fish store has any. Look at this link: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...hoosing-species-rasbaras-loaches-44885/page2/
Apparently there are more than one kind of micro rasbora.

I know I don't have any fish yet, but would a good clean up crew be some nerite snails and (either cherry or ghost) shrimp? Also in my bigger community tank I have a bunch of snails. I think they came from petsmart. They are small. I might get an assassin snail for them. I just tested the water.
parameters:
pH: 7.9
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

maxwellag said:
I know I don't have any fish yet, but would a good clean up crew be some nerite snails and (either cherry or ghost) shrimp? Also in my bigger community tank I have a bunch of snails. I think they came from petsmart. They are small. I might get an assassin snail for them. I just tested the water.
parameters:
pH: 7.9
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Shrimp and snails would be perfect! Cherry shrimp are my favs, but ghost shrimp are way cheaper. Ghost shrimp are only like .05 cents each lol. Cherry shrimp are more pricey, but they're the only ones that breed in freshwater, and IMO have prettier colors. For snails, I'd still go with nerite, but your plan could work as well. They'll take care of any dead plants anyway. Speaking of which... Are you going live or fake plant wise?

Homedog98 said:
Shrimp and snails would be perfect! Cherry shrimp are my favs, but ghost shrimp are way cheaper. Ghost shrimp are only like .05 cents each lol. Cherry shrimp are more pricey, but they're the only ones that breed in freshwater, and IMO have prettier colors. For snails, I'd still go with nerite, but your plan could work as well. They'll take care of any dead plants anyway. Speaking of which... Are you going live or fake plant wise?

"Im goin' live!" Lol. I already have a moss ball and some bamboo in there. I am going to add more plants. I might be able to today.

maxwellag said:
"Im goin' live!" Lol. I already have a moss ball and some bamboo in there. I am going to add more plants. I might be able to today.

Cool, any idea what you want?

Homedog98 said:
Cool, any idea what you want?

Well, I kinda want some dwarf helzine so it covers the whole bottom and looks like a nice grassy area. But I have never seen it at my lfs. I also want echinodorus parviflorus. But in my fish book it says that glossostigma elatinoides is the ultimate carpet plant. I may also get hairgrass

maxwellag said:
Well, I kinda want some dwarf helzine so it covers the whole bottom and looks like a nice grassy area. But I have never seen it at my lfs.

Once again, order online lol. What's your lighting setup?

Homedog98 said:
Once again, order online lol. What's your lighting setup?

Right now it is some leds. I don't know how many or how powerful. I will look into ordering online...

maxwellag said:
Right now it is some leds. I don't know how many or how powerful. I will look into ordering online...

I'm no lighting expert, but I know both those plants need higher lighting... Talk to Fort. He's the plant/lighting expert lol. Mdfrookie516 is good too.

Homedog98 said:
I'm no lighting expert, but I know both those plants need higher lighting... Talk to Fort. He's the plant/lighting expert lol. Mdfrookie516 is good too.

Ok. Im still not sure ill get those plants... what plants would be fine with the leds?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom