Cycling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brettyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Just started my tank and have it setup ready to put fish in. I'm just doing my research on what fish to start with for my 200l/50g tank

I want to definately have a school of a neon terra and a catfish. Then I want to have some show fish but not sure what yet as I need to do some research what goes well.

I have read that neons don't do well with nitrate so I don't think they are suitable for cycling.

Can any one recommend some fish that would be suitable for my future plans for cycling

Have you considered fishless cycling?
It may be quicker,is easier and could save a few fish along the way?
Many cycle fish in with danios as they are cheap and fairly hardy.
Do you own a test kit ?

I have looked at fishless but I'm going to go with fish. I have a test kit.

I have searched the cycling forum but most of the info is about water levels rather than good starting breeds.

hopefully you will plan on doing lots of water changes and testing the water frequently during the process. you could consider using zebra danios to get started cycling. you may also want to see if you can get some seeded media from either a local hobbyist or fish store.

*edit just noticed danios were already suggested. x2 on them

Long ago many used guppies but today they seem tough to keep it would appear(not so hardy..)
If your pH and GH are middle or higher I might suggest mollies as a good cycling fish.
They are large enough to help speed the natural cycling possibly and cheap enough to get several(4-6 IMO).
I would stay away from all tetras, IMO.
How about gouramis,platies or swordtails?

Back
Top Bottom