Cycling new tank using Purigen pack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toasted Tyrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a 22 litre tank (for shrimp) yesterday. It just crossed my mind that I could use the Purigen pack (100ml - 3 months old) from my other tank as a quick source of beneficial bacteria whilst I cycle the new one. Would this work?

(I don't want to take the foam or the ceramic rings out of the other tank because I only changed the rings last week.)

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds fine, not to deviate from your question.. why change ceramics? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

for seeding the new tank, sure it will work, but I don't think you should leave it in there during cycling because it will absorb dissolved organic compounds and remove needed nutrients for the bacteria and may slow the process.

and yeah, why change the ceramic?

Thanks for the advice.

I put the Purigen in to clean out the tannins given out by a piece of bog wood. It does that really well but I've not really read about what else it's doing.

Regarding the ceramics - I'm new (since March) to keeping fish and if the Fluval instructions tell me to change the ceramics every few months then I obey! How often should they be changed, if ever?

Nevarrrrrrrr!!! Stupid fluval, they are pretty much the only thing in your entire setup that will never need changing; ) infact.. they harbor the majority of the beneficial bacterial responsible for maintaining the overall health of your tank, for fluval to recommend changing that is outright disgraceful..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

and some folks thought I was crazy for suggesting that the industry is more interested in selling filters and other junk that force you to make continual purchases in order to use them then they are about proper care of the animals.

This is a blatant example of exactly what I mean.

It's a steep learning curve and any advice that stops me causing harm is highly valued.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom