Cycling questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfishlover101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently cycling my 5 gallon fish tank. I have API's freshwater master test kit and my ammonia level is around 8ppm and my nitrite level is not even .25ppm. I heard that when you start to see nitrite, you decrease the amount of ammonia you put in by half. Is that correct? Right now I'm putting in 18 drops a day.

One more quesion, I have a 30 gallon rated filter on my 5 gallon fish tank. (AquaClear30) Is that ok or will it harm the fish? I plan on getting a few guppies. (3-5 males) I don't want it to suck them up or get them stuck to it.

8 ppm is probably too high. As I've learned, you need a lower reading in order for the cycle to start. People here that know more than I do suggest between 3-5 ppm. I don't think you should be adding ammonia daily until you see a spike in nitrites. Otherwise, you're probably just raising the ammonia level higher before the bacteria develops.

Also, 18 drops sounds really high for such a small tank.

yeah, you need to keep the ammonia closer to 4ppm while starting a cycle... too much ammonia does more harm than good, it stalls out the cycle

Thank you, about how many drops of ammonia should I add? Yesterday the ammonia was 3-5ppm but now it's 8ppm and maybe higher since it has a blue tint but it's very green.

just add enough to get it up to 3 or 4 ppm... then as the bacteria grows, it will convert it and you will start seeing nitrItes, then as the bacteria continues to grow, you will see nitrAtes. or at least thats an easy way of saying it lol.

Thanks, I will do that. ;) Do you know approx. how long AP's test kit lasts? I hate testing every day because I'm afraid I'm going to use it all and it's very expensive. lol

umm, they'll last quite a while, there are 280 tests i think (dont hold me to that), it may be more or less... You can buy the ammonia solution separately for around $5 or at least thats what it is at my lfs.

I don't feel as bad now. haha Should I test the water every day when it's cycling? Would testing the water every week be ok when it's cycled? Thanks for all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom