Fish Died of Ammonia Poisoning, Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can certainly do a fish in cycle. As suggested, a 50% daily PWC until you get the test kit and know what the ammonia levels are will get the job done. It will just take some persistence for a couple of weeks.

Okay. So I should do more? I did about 10% PWC and the fish is swimming again. I turned the light off too since it's been on for like 5 hours, and my living room is pretty well light anyways.

Madamayo said:
Okay. So I should do more? I did about 10% PWC and the fish is swimming again. I turned the light off too since it's been on for like 5 hours, and my living room is pretty well light anyways.

When I started my 55g, I did a fish-in cycle with 6 fish. I HAD to do daily 50-60% pwc's to keep the ammonia in check. Took almost 6 weeks for the tank to cycle, but no losses once I started the pwc's.

TOTALLY POSSIBLE to to a fish in cycle without harming the fish. The key is LARGE daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite as low as possible. I suggest back to back 50% water change today to get everything down, then 50% everyday until you get a test kit. I fish in cycle all my tanks. Good luck!

Should I wait a few hours before I do the second 50% change? The fish isn't too happy about the huge changes in water level.

Madamayo said:
Should I wait a few hours before I do the second 50% change? The fish isn't too happy about the huge changes in water level.

As long as the water is roughly the same temperature, is dechlorinated and the same pH is fine to change large amounts back to back (few minutes between changes) IMO.

The key to this whole fish in thing is the large water changes! I have now done 2 tanks with fish in. I had numerous problems at the beginning and trust me- the best thing fit your fish right now is those water changes.

50% now and everyday until you get that test kit. Your fish will actually like those water changes. Hang in there. I know it is a lot to learn all at once.

So here is the key to your water changes: temp match the water (your hand can be a good guide), treat for chlorine before adding water to tank, add water slowly

How do you empty/ add water? Do you have a syphon? Using buckets? Etc. I use a syphon thing to empty into the bucket, and then kinda reverse the process to add it back in. This is less stressful to the fish. Does that make sense?

Good luck!

Not sure what happened, but I followed the directions to a T yesterday, 2 50% water changes, only fed it a very light amount of food yesterday morning (way before the water changes)

Wake up this morning and it is dead =( Grrr. Okay, so after flushing I cranked the temperature up to about 80-82 (ill get a correct reading once it's turned stable)

I use a 1 gallon pitcher to carry and condition the water, but I have a cup with a very small hole in the bottom that I use to regulate the flow. I then pour the water on top of one of the tank features and there is very little distrubance. I use a thermometer for temperature so when I did water changes yesterday everything was a perfect 78 degrees.

Added a decent amount of flake today to get the ammonia levels up until I can afford some ammonia and a test kit. Thanks for the help =).

PH = 7.7
No2/No3/Nh3 = Still unknown

sorry about that. sounds like you are doing fine with the water changes. it may have been more than the little guy could handle.

I say get yourself a test kit and we will be ready to go again. hang in there! I had a rough start too. you don't even want to know how many fish I lost in the beginning...

Back
Top Bottom