I hope you can stand another fishless cycling log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I got impatient and tested again yesterday, ammo still at 4.0, unsurprisingly :lol:

I'm going to try to forget about it for a few days and check again

In the meantime I'm going to check out some lfs this weekend

Question: I have some plastic plants at the rear of the aquarium and some silk ones in other spots and wanted to replace the plastic with silk. I'm also not sure I'm happy with one of the decorations. If I were to add/take away decor during the cycle, would that upset the cycle? I know bacteria can be on tank surfaces, so should I not replace anything now or does it not matter much? I hate being so undecided and picky; I like something one minute then hate it the next but I figure I should get it right now before I add fish in, although don't want to upset the cycle in any way either :nono:

Thanks!

During cycling, I find it best to let it be until it's completely cycled.

Ooh thanks! Hm, I have a lot to think about. I think what I'm going to do is research some of the suggestions above, but not start making any decisions until I get a GH/KH kit for my water and see where my PH levels end up after the cycle, then I can choose which fish would fit best in those conditions. But it's fun to research fish and make a list of possibilities. The stocking ideas will probably have to be a new thread once I get the stable ph numbers and gh/kh numbers just so I'm sure I'm stocking right.

Thanks for the info though, I'll be busy researching those ideas. And I like the idea of African Dwarf Frogs if they''ll end up fitting my paramaters, they're cute!

Thanks again!

You're welcome! =D Happy cycling/stocking!

Bubbles - lots of 'em

So I took a peek at my tank this morning (I have a blanket covering the three visible sides to minimize algae outbreaks and promote bacteria growth) and I have the 4" air stone cranked up. I noticed many bubbles forming on the surface of the water and they look like they are coming from the air stone. Is this normal? Does the water need more oxygen? The temp is at about 86 degrees fahrenheit. I have the tank water filled to about an inch below the top visible part of the tank lid and just below the filter output to increase agitation). Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just don't want to make any mistakes that might mess with the cycle.

Thanks!

I don't drip acclimate but I do slowly change the water. I start like you do and balance the temp. from the tank to the bag by floating the bag. Then I remove an eighth to quarter cup (depending on the size of the bag) of the bag water and replace it with the same amount of tank water then let it continue to float, repeat every 30 min. until there is only tank water left in the bag. It's faster than the drip but it's safer than just plopping them in with no acclimation. I've never had a fish die or show signs of stress after adding them this way

WendiDell said:
I don't drip acclimate but I do slowly change the water. I start like you do and balance the temp. from the tank to the bag by floating the bag. Then I remove an eighth to quarter cup (depending on the size of the bag) of the bag water and replace it with the same amount of tank water then let it continue to float, repeat every 30 min. until there is only tank water left in the bag. It's faster than the drip but it's safer than just plopping them in with no acclimation. I've never had a fish die or show signs of stress after adding them this way

I do the same thing with great success.

I've moved decorations and plants around while cycling. you're not far into the cycle at all so I wouldn't worry if you want to take something out.

So day 6 of fishless cycle and nothing new to report. :(

Ammonia still at 4.0 and no nitrites yet (added pure ammo last sunday). I was hoping since I did have fish in there for almost a month and I'm using the same filter it would be going a bit faster but I guess not. When should I start worrying if I don't see nitrites?

Starting tomorrow I'm going to test ALL levels every 24 hours.

I'm also in the process of testing tap water (treated and untreated) at 1 hour, 12 hour, and 24 hour intervals to get readings, especially ph, b/c I had some fluctuation problems when the fish were in there (not sure if it was b/c of the cycling or problems with my water) and I want to get things sorted out before I put the fish in. I'm also going to order a GH/KH kit and test for those too. I'll post all of those readings when I get them all.

Until then, still waiting for the 'trates! :banghead:

ummm ... if there is no ammonia it will never cycle. you need an ammonia source in order to start the cycle. pure ammonia or raw shrimp is best. try to dose it up to 4ppm. after the initial dose of ammonia it will take a couple weeks to see your nitrite spike.

So day 6 of fishless cycle and nothing new to report. :(

Ammonia still at 0 and no nitrites yet. I was hoping since I did have fish in there for almost a month and I'm using the same filter it would be going a bit faster but I guess not. When should I start worrying if I don't see nitrites?

Starting tomorrow I'm going to test ALL levels every 24 hours.

I'm also in the process of testing tap water (treated and untreated) at 1 hour, 12 hour, and 24 hour intervals to get readings, especially ph, b/c I had some fluctuation problems when the fish were in there (not sure if it was b/c of the cycling or problems with my water) and I want to get things sorted out before I put the fish in. I'm also going to order a GH/KH kit and test for those too. I'll post all of those readings when I get them all.

Until then, still waiting for the 'trates! :banghead:

When the ammo drops, it means the bacteria have used it up and you need to redose, if you don't the bacteria will begin to starve and die off.

mommytron said:
ummm ... if there is no ammonia it will never cycle. you need an ammonia source in order to start the cycle. pure ammonia or raw shrimp is best. try to dose it up to 4ppm. after the initial dose of ammonia it will take a couple weeks to see your nitrite spike.

Oops typo I meant ammo 4.0 I added pure ace ammo last Sunday night lol clearly I've been looking at numbers too much. I'll edit my last reply. Thanks for pointing out my error!

lol ... i was gonna say!! i looked back at the rest of the thread and got super confused. lol.

just keep waiting, nitrite takes at least a couple weeks to start spiking. hang in there, it's a long process.

Mr. Limpet said:
When the ammo drops, it means the bacteria have used it up and you need to redose, if you don't the bacteria will begin to starve and die off.

Lol sorry I posted a typo originally, I meant to type 4.0 for ammo. I wish it had fallen to zero!

mommytron said:
lol ... i was gonna say!! i looked back at the rest of the thread and got super confused. lol.

just keep waiting, nitrite takes at least a couple weeks to start spiking. hang in there, it's a long process.

Thanks for the encouragement! I was starting to think my tank was somehow exempt from the laws of science lol

Oops typo I meant ammo 4.0 I added pure ace ammo last Sunday night lol clearly I've been looking at numbers too much. I'll edit my last reply. Thanks for pointing out my error!

Still sounds like you cycle is stalled. I'd suggest getting some Anacharis from a LFS that keeps it in a tank with fish and tell them you want water in the bag and just toss the whole thing in (water and all). The Anacharis will have bacteria and help seed the tank, it'll use a bit of the ammo, but it should break your stalled cycle.

i wouldn't call that a stalled cycle. it hasn't even been a full week yet. i'd wait a little longer if i were you.

i wouldn't call that a stalled cycle. it hasn't even been a full week yet. i'd wait a little longer if i were you.

I put plants from populated tanks in my cycling tank on day 0, had ammo drop in 4-5 days, no2 at 1ppm in 7-8 days and fully cycled (including FW->BW conversion) in about 17 days. I'd say she's stalled.

that's because first of all, plants can speed up a cycle. and your plants were probably covered in bacteria that kick started your cycle. the OP didn't add a bunch of plants from an established tank, did she? if you're starting a fishless cycle from scratch with no seeded material, it can take up to two weeks to start seeing nitrite.

that's because first of all, plants can speed up a cycle. and your plants were probably covered in bacteria that kick started your cycle. the OP didn't add a bunch of plants from an established tank, did she? if you're starting a fishless cycle from scratch with no seeded material, it can take up to two weeks to start seeing nitrite.

Hence the recommendation to ADD plants and kick start the cycle :whistle:.

yes, i understand that, but it doesn't mean that her cycle is stalled out right now. it just takes time

thanks for the advice everyone. I've been reading on fish less cycling and it seems that 2 weeks, sometimes as long ad a month, isn't an uncommon time to wait for nitrites to show and ammo to drop. So for now I'll test every day or so until I see something happen and try not to panic yet. In the meantime I'm researching stcking options.

I visited two Lfs today ( non chain stores), they were both questionable IMO so I'll keep looking. Last thing I want would be sick fish in my new tank. But I'm in a very small state so my options are limited. Not sure what I'll do if I can't find an Lfs that lives up to my standards lol

Did see some glow light tetras that I absolutely fell in love with so I'm hoping they would be ok in my 12 gal and I can find a decent Lfs that sells them. I can't wait they are sooooo cute.

Yep I'm losing my mind. Gotta start thinking of other things besides fish lol

Back
Top Bottom