I hope you can stand another fishless cycling log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update

Not sure if I should panic.

I swished the foam/water around and most of it dissipated but not all. I then took water paramaters:

ammo 4-5, approx
nitrIte 0
NitrAte 5
ph: 7.6+ (dark blue)
high range ph: 7.6 or a shade lighter

I then decided to do the shake test that Eco suggested; there was some foam/bubbles when doing the shake test with tank water, but not suds like the in the tank in the pic in my previous post and most of the bubbles popped fairly quickly: Video Link

I also put water straight from the tap in the container and did the same test; not many bubbles at all and the few there were popped quickly. I then added ammonia to the container and swished again; hardly any bubbles at all, same as with the straight tap water. So, now I'm a bit worried.

I did a 5 gal water change and moved the plants around and filled the water up so that the output of water from the filter isn't quite falling so much to get to the tank. It seemed to help some (pics below) but there is still a small line of foam on the top of the tank, although not as much.

Should I worry that I did something stupid by accident? Should I buy a new tank and switch everything over, or should I not panic yet? I don't want to chance putting fish in here whenever the tank is ready if this problem persists and I don't know the cause. :( Help. :confused:

dsc00141ub.jpg

dsc00140rh.jpg

dsc00139on.jpg

dsc00138xo.jpg

dsc00137mj.jpg

Thorough little thing aren't you? Lol. Don't panic, let's keep going for a while and see what happens. Id like to see some other opinions on the bubbles. I can't really make the call...it looks abnormal to me personally, but maybe it's just something I've never seen.

Did it start when you used that seeded sponge by chance? Maybe you can contact the company and ask if it's something related to their product.

Overkill on bubblers can do that, but if its a new tank and when u cleaned it to get rid of dust n stuff you may have used something tat had detergent or something tat is creating th overkill of bubbles.

Pigeonfood said:
Overkill on bubblers can do that, but if its a new tank and when u cleaned it to get rid of dust n stuff you may have used something tat had detergent or something tat is creating th overkill of bubbles.

Dude, I had air stones going like crazy and never saw foam like that. I'm gonna try some home experiments, lol.

Don't worry yet...but I tried repeating that with tap and tank water and it didn't happen. A few air bubbles...but they were gone in around 5 seconds. Let's let some other opinions roll in.

Thorough little thing aren't you? Lol. Don't panic, let's keep going for a while and see what happens. Id like to see some other opinions on the bubbles. I can't really make the call...it looks abnormal to me personally, but maybe it's just something I've never seen.

Did it start when you used that seeded sponge by chance? Maybe you can contact the company and ask if it's something related to their product.

Thanks. Before this I did notice some bubbles on top of the tank, not excessive and they were popping, nothing like the sudsy look that's in the most recent pic. I noticed the "suds" a day or two after adding the new filter. I added the new filter on Saturday, noticed the suds yesterday I think but I have the tank covered with a blanket to block light so not sure when exactly they showed up, but didn't notice them prior to putting the new filter in. I'll email them and see if they have any insights, thanks.

Thanks, but the tank isn't really new. I had it set up for about 3 weeks with fish in there, trying to cycle with fish (didn't know about cycling until I already had them). Unfortunately they all died and so I'm going fishless now, no suds in the tank when the fish were in. I didn't clean anything with soap or detergents that I am aware of, I try to be careful with that, I always rinsed new decor and stuff in regular tap water. I didn't add anything to the tank just prior to the suds showing up other than the new filter.

libraygirl said:
I dosed the ammo back up to 4 after yesterday's test but now I'm wondering if that's too high.

Today's test results, almost 48 hours after installing seeded filter sponge (and 24 hours after yesterday's first test with the sponge; ammo had gone down to 0.5 so I dosed it back up yesterday):

[*]Ammo: about 4 (this is the issue with the API kit; if I hover it over the card, the color looks lighter and matches about 4, if I hold the tube AGAINST the card the color is darker; which is accurate?)
[*]NitrIte: still 0
[*]NitrAte: 2.5-5? If I hover it over the card, it looks in between 0 and 5. If I hold it against the card, it looks more like 5. Also the Gh/Kh kit says if you have trouble reading the colors to look down into the tube from the top. If I do this with the nitrate kit, it looks more reddish, like 40. But I'm guessing it's the color of the tube itself that's the reading we take? Ugh, why don't they make these blasted things less ambiguous.
[*]Ph: 7.6+++ darker blue than on the chart
[*]High range Ph: 7.4 or a shade lighter

I also have lots of foam on the top of my tank. Usually there has been many bubbles probably from the cranked up air stone and now the added bubbles from the sponge filter. But today it's FOAM. I am using the right ammo ( pic below, the ACE hardware, 10% ammonium hydroxide). is it just the added ammo reacting with the bubbles? Also my water is STILL cloudy, has been since day 3. If it were a bacterial bloom, shouldn't it have settled by now? :banghead:

So any hopes of this tank cycling is going down the drain along with my confidence. :( Should I do a pwc to get the ammo down a bit or give it more time?

You have exactly the right ammonia.

You haven't had people over whom may have thought soap in your tank would be funny have you?

libraygirl said:
Thanks. Before this I did notice some bubbles on top of the tank, not excessive and they were popping, nothing like the sudsy look that's in the most recent pic. I noticed the "suds" a day or two after adding the new filter. I added the new filter on Saturday, noticed the suds yesterday I think but I have the tank covered with a blanket to block light so not sure when exactly they showed up, but didn't notice them prior to putting the new filter in. I'll email them and see if they have any insights, thanks.

I think it's got to just be something with that seeded filter. Isn't there some silly way you actually connect it to an airline? Seems like the timing lines up. I wouldn't worry about it until you hear back. I've read in other posts that the company is supposed to have really good customer service. I'm sure it'll all be fine...just worth looking into :)

Deckape said:
You haven't had people over whom may have thought soap in your tank would be funny have you?

This has me puzzled too guys. It looks like seafoam at the beach almost.

lol No, I live alone and other than my cat I don't have any visitors. I work a lot and keep to myself when I'm home lol The tank has a lid and my cat has no interest in the tank at all so no one did anything to it without my knowledge.

I think it's got to just be something with that seeded filter. Isn't there some silly way you actually connect it to an airline? Seems like the timing lines up. I wouldn't worry about it until you hear back. I've read in other posts that the company is supposed to have really good customer service. I'm sure it'll all be fine...just worth looking into :)

Yes it's connected to my air pump. I have the air pump connected to a two line gang valve (with a check valve on each one also). One valve goes to my 4" air stone, the other valve goes to the new filter which is submersed in the tank and does throw up larger bubbles but they don't look like suds. Could it be proteins in the new filter? I just emailed them so we'll see what they say.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate everyone trying to help.

libraygirl said:
Yes it's connected to my air pump. I have the air pump connected to a two line gang valve (with a check valve on each one also). One valve goes to my 4" air stone, the other valve goes to the new filter which is submersed in the tank and does throw up larger bubbles but they don't look like suds. Could it be proteins in the new filter? I just emailed them so we'll see what they say.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate everyone trying to help.

That coupled with very soft water could very well be the case. Eco has way more experience with soft water. So Ill defer to him.

Deckape said:
That coupled with very soft water could very well be the case. Eco has way more experience with soft water. So Ill defer to him.

I'm not sure the hardness of the water will have much affect unless there actually is soap and it's exaggerated by soft water. I'd put my last dollar on the sponge causing it. We'll just see what they say. There's too much coincidence for this to have started right after it was added for it to not be related.

Otherwise, we're gonna need to bring in your cat for questioning :)

You should try turning off the airstone. The bubbles made.by the sponge filter will provide plenty of O2/CO2 exchange. Give it a shot and see if the bubbles subside

eco23 said:
I'm not sure the hardness of the water will have much affect unless there actually is soap and it's exaggerated by soft water. I'd put my last dollar on the sponge causing it. We'll just see what they say. There's too much coincidence for this to have started right after it was added for it to not be related.

Good one! I think there is nothing to worry about. Try turning off the airstone and see the result. Keep us posted please

Well I did just purchase a Gh/Kh kit and tested the other day. I hadn't posted the results yet b/c I was going to start a new thread asking about stocking options with my Gh/Kh levels. Um, ok I just realized my test results are in my notepad at work, but I am pretty sure my Kh was 2 and my GH was 3 (I know those are the numbers, just can't remember the order, but I'm pretty sure that's right). I'll double-check in the morning and edit the post if they are wrong. So what do those levels mean anyway? Is my water soft or hard or ?

libraygirl said:
Well I did just purchase a Gh/Kh kit and tested the other day. I hadn't posted the results yet b/c I was going to start a new thread asking about stocking options with my Gh/Kh levels. Um, ok I just realized my test results are in my notepad at work, but I am pretty sure my Kh was 2 and my GH was 3 (I know those are the numbers, just can't remember the order, but I'm pretty sure that's right). I'll double-check in the morning and edit the post if they are wrong. So what do those levels mean anyway? Is my water soft or hard or ?

Eric she is talking to you...I have no clue...

Back
Top Bottom