I know the answer is probably "NO" but can I use lake water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyAnglerFishKeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm going to run a native fish aquarium - probably just a couple of bluegill and the occasional crayfish which I expect the gills to take care of sooner or later. Anyway, I'm reading all about cycling and that sort of thing here and elsewhere and the chlorine problem, etc.

Since I'll be catching my fish (it's legal where I live to catch and hold, but not to release) and transporting them back home in a cooler full of lake water - why not just use the lake water they're already living in to start the aquarium?

If I got the lake water a week before I got the fish, would that work? Remember, these aren't tropical fish - they're bluegill/sunfish and pretty hardy little fish.

Ok, so now that I've asked that dumb question, I'll just duck under this desk here and await the beat down. LOL :popcorn:

Can you? Yes. Is it generally recommended? No. Why not? Because generally speaking, you have no idea of the extent of pollutants in the forms of watershed pestisides or herbisides or other substances which have ended up in that water. While the fish may be successful in their native large body of water with its constant flow, sticking them into a glass box with that water is likely only going to lead to issues. Additionally, you may transfer spores, eggs, or seeds of organisms that you would rather not have in the aquarium along with that water.

Now on the flip side of that, I have started some native tanks in this manner, and then conduct water changes for a fairly extensive period of time using RO or RO/DI water. After about six months or so, start using dechlorinated tap water.

bettaowner said:
What if you boil the water. That would kill the harmful microbes right?

I think that would defeat the purpose of it benefiting the fish. Might as well use dechlorinated tap water. I have thought of this native tank idea... but then I thought of the things that might fly or crawl outta the tank into my house! Ha ha...

What if you boil the water. That would kill the harmful microbes right?

Sure, but it is not going to do a thing for herbicides or pesticides, or any other type of chemical pollution that might be present in the water.

I think that would defeat the purpose of it benefiting the fish. Might as well use dechlorinated tap water. I have thought of this native tank idea... but then I thought of the things that might fly or crawl outta the tank into my house! Ha ha...

Native tanks are awesome, just need a good screen top!

Wy Renegade said:
Sure, but it is not going to do a thing for herbicides or pesticides, or any other type of chemical pollution that might be present in the water.

Native tanks are awesome, just need a good screen top!

Wouldn't some activated carbon inthe filter help with the chemicals or pesticides? Id go with treated tap if it were me, but I'm just saying...

I'd go with regular tap water also just to not have to stress on what the water might bring along with it. It's already bad enough that you have to be concerned with parasites and disease in the fish . What size tank are you doing? I'd pick a smaller and more colorful sunfish species if it were me, I'm not really a fan of bluegills.

Keep in mind that the fish are already living in this water in the lake. :)

I went with tap water. De-chlorinated it and have it running tonight. Going to go aquire some tiny sunfish tomorrow night. I'm a HUGE fan of bluegills, but that's when it comes to fly fishing for them. This will be my first attempt at keeping them. With fly fishing for them, I can get specimens down to about 2 inches long. I may freak some folks out with this, but when they grow too large - well, let's just say I have a plan for them.

I'm one who doesn't get attached to my fish, other than naming them. I will name 'em, but I know where to get more when the inevitable happens. Hopefully though, I can raise them to be 6 or 8 inchers without problems.

I'm going to try to keep two bluegills in a 20 gallon. Probably should have gotten the 29 gallon but I'm on a tight budget and weight/space is an issue.

If I fail with the 'gills, I'll go to "regular old" aquarium fish I suppose.... :brows:

Keep in mind that the fish are already living in this water in the lake. :)
The issue I have is not whether the fish can live in it or not, it's just my method to minimize potential issues and also keeping tabs on what all is going on in the tank. I collect a lot of water samples when I'm out collecting fish and there's all kinds of random creepy crawlies in there so if I can minimize their inclusion as much as possible I much prefer it.

If you do get tired of them outgrowing the tank look into dollar sunfish, bluespotted, orangespotted, or black banded sunfish, they all have great coloration and stay small enough to keep in a 20g for their entire lives.

Back
Top Bottom