Just starting out, New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO, update on the fish.
my bala seems more aggressive today. Hes really alert. Maybe it was from the water change?..also about feeding. It seems like they want to fight over the food, like the fastest one wins. the mollies and the bala eat up top. than the tetras and guppie stays down, but by the time the food comes down its already been attacked. So feeding wise what kind of schedule should i keep. Im not always waking up at a certain time. specially around night time too, im usually home but sometimes ill have to work late.
what signs should i be looking for with the fish.Like aggression while eating or super alertness?..it just seems like everyones more awake. but it seems more in a panic. i cant really explain it..-.-.. So yea tips. If you need pictures i could try but no promises:D

I'm not beating you over the head, but I'm going to bet the aggression you're seeing from the bala shark is frustration that he is alone, as they are shoaling fish that prefer groups of 6-8. The food order is natural as well when you have topwater and midwater fish. If the guppy isn't at the top feeding he is more than likely stressed. You'll want to feed them the same time every day, and honestly, you might want to feed a little bit more (not more frequently but in quantity) if you're afraid the others aren't getting food. One thing to remember though, a fish's stomach is about the same size as its eye so they might all be getting their fill anyway :p
About the 'panic' you seem to be seeing, that could be stress from water changes along with being in a new environment. Are you using a siphon (or even better) gravel vacuum, or scooping it out? Not really for stress reducing but to assure you're cleaning all the detrius (build up of waste) at the bottom. In summation, roll with the gravel cleaner lol.
Lastly, you could also be like I get from time to time, just a little too worried about 'em (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and the feeding "frenzy" they're doing is completely natural and indicates they're healthy and active.

If you do notice anything like clamped fins (fish swimming with their fins tucked to their body), odd swimming patterns, listing lazily, anything like that, you'll want to do some research about possible ailments and remedies.

Again, good luck! Every day with fish is like a new adventure

Thanks derail!
Yea i know (now) that they should be grouped. i learned my lesson:D. I guess im being over procations because they are the first things im actually trying to take care of. Im an animal lover but i never have been able to take care of my 'OWN' pet. Now since i look at fish more than 'just pets' im just cation about what i do.
Im not going to lie, i dont have ether(gravel/python) All i used was a half liter jug thing and poured it like that. Thats all i have at the moment..It has been a stressful few hours for them. Its just hard starting when theres so many random little things i need but i dont have the money for them. haha so i have to make due with what i have for now. But at least im being smart about it and asking as i go. haha:p i really do care about their environment.Im thinking now that im just being to cation about the eating situation. Ill definitely let you guys now if anything happens though.
'Everyday with fish is like a new adventure'
Very nicely put!:D

Hey I wet my.food w tank water before putting it in bc I had problems w fish having bloat due to sucking in air. Also this level playing field for food a little bc it is all over tank. Don't overhead bc ur worried about everyone. That will cause issues. Fish don't need as much as you may think.

Hey I wet my.food w tank water before putting it in bc I had problems w fish having bloat due to sucking in air. Also this level playing field for food a little bc it is all over tank. Don't overhead bc ur worried about everyone. That will cause issues. Fish don't need as much as you may think.

Thanks!, im cautious too because since its not cycled, if i put to much wouldnt that hurt everything else that much more. Dont i need bacteria to break down the food if its not eaten?
Im going to head to the store in a sec!:D wooah

I would definitely recommend picking up a gravel vac or siphon. Cheaper than a python for now, but makes water changes much easier than scooping the water out. They also allow you to clean poop and any fish food that falls to the bottom out of the gravel before it can decompose and mess with your water chemistry. And get that master kit! It may seem expensive at around $35 but I can tell you from experience, it costs at least twice that to piece it all together kit by kit. I couldn't find the whole kit when I got started again, and when I was a kid I only had a pH kit. Live and learn, haha. I've put at least $60 or $70 into test kits to get everything... Not fun when you are a broke college student! I would also recommend replacing your algae eater with a nice algae scraper or scrubber or a magfloat. If your tank is acrylic, get a scrubber and if you have glass you can get a scrubber or a scraper. The scraper can scratch acrylic tanks. As for stocking, up your neons and corys and perhaps add some other tetras in schools. When you go back to the store, just take 20 minutes or so to look around at the fish they have. Do the same at your friend's store. Bring a notebook with you and write down the name of any and all fish you see that you like, then go home and research research research!!! Perhaps start a stocking thread on here and get input from the forum, I'm sure that for every species you are interested in there will be at least one person on here who has kept them.

Welcome to the wonderful hobby of fishkeeping! Pretty much everyone makes mistakes like these when they start out, I know I did! But you have found a great resource and this is going to help you out a lot. Also, have you asked your friend if his shop would either adopt or trade the fish you can't keep for store credit?

Thanks!, im cautious too because since its not cycled, if i put to much wouldnt that hurt everything else that much more. Dont i need bacteria to break down the food if its not eaten?

Very clever, you catch on quickly (and in this hobby that's a good thing!). Yes uneaten food can decompose and contribute to ammonia in the water, same with fish waste (bioload). So a gravel vac/siphon/Python (all do the same thing) is a must along with the Prime and API Test kit. Fish like variety in their diets as well but that can wait if you run out of funds, the tools above are more important right now.

As for stocking, let's focus on returning the extra fish (the CAE and Shark definitely and any others you aren't interested in keeping long-term) then we'll see what you have left and plan stocking around that. Cycling a tank can take 1-3 months so you'll have plenty of time to ponder stocking before the tank is ready for new fish.

welcome! late in joining this thread, but I am right in there with you! started up my new 20 gallon tank right after christmas. I am doing the fish IN cylce method with you. I can tell you the best couple of purchases that I have made were the API test kit(much more cost effective to do it this way) and the gravel vac. I have 2 tanks so I ended up getting 2 gravel vacs (money I didn't need to spend) but you can get a cheap one for a small tank (maybe $2-$3) and it will just take longer on your water changes or you can get the bigger one. the bigger one had a little squeezy thing to start the suction. definitely easier!

HeatherW said:
welcome! late in joining this thread, but I am right in there with you! started up my new 20 gallon tank right after christmas. I am doing the fish IN cylce method with you. I can tell you the best couple of purchases that I have made were the API test kit(much more cost effective to do it this way) and the gravel vac. I have 2 tanks so I ended up getting 2 gravel vacs (money I didn't need to spend) but you can get a cheap one for a small tank (maybe $2-$3) and it will just take longer on your water changes or you can get the bigger one. the bigger one had a little squeezy thing to start the suction. definitely easier!

I love the ones with a squeezey thing! I just replaced mine, found it for less than $3 on eBay. Now to wait for it to ship from Hong Kong... Get one like that if you can, it really does simplify things. Not as much as a python but you can get a small one in stores for maybe 10 bucks. Until you can save up for the python it will do just as good of a job.

Thank you so much guys!!! All this input is really helping me out. Im going to be getting my stuff probly by friday. So this week all im doing is 50% wc, and not stressing out over every little detail:DD
Update:
I went to my friends shop down the street, they sadly dont give out media...(what a friend>.<) so now i must find someone who has a tank!! :D, So than what if i get some cycle stuff, or biomax. Would that help the process. I wouldnt get it till friday so is it worth it or not? Fish seem to have settled down, no more skitish fish. water is still about 5% cloudy,(Will that ever clear up,maybe not crystal clear but clear haha.) Im going to start feeding around 9.
Random-How long should i keep the light on?, It kind of heats up my tank, in the mornings its been at 75, than rises to about 78 around 2 or 3. than ends at 80. Im not sure what temp to set the heater at, so right now its at 80.hmmm?.:D

Honestly guys, Im really excited for this thing to grow. Thanks for all the support and advise you 'wise' people give. :D

Thank you so much guys!!! All this input is really helping me out. Im going to be getting my stuff probly by friday. So this week all im doing is 50% wc, and not stressing out over every little detail:DD
Update:
I went to my friends shop down the street, they sadly dont give out media...(what a friend>.<) so now i must find someone who has a tank!! :D, So than what if i get some cycle stuff, or biomax. Would that help the process. I wouldnt get it till friday so is it worth it or not?
yeah, I couldn't get anyone to give me any stuff either. just do your water changes and be patient. I have asked about the biomax and they all tell me the same thing. that stuff is not going to speed up your cycle. you will just have to grow your own bb (benificial bacteria) yourself. it will just take time. have fun checking your water and doing water changes. this will give you a good chance you really learn about your fish and their behavior.
Fish seem to have settled down, no more skitish fish. water is still about 5% cloudy,(Will that ever clear up,maybe not crystal clear but clear haha.)
on my little tank I had the coudy stuff too. turns out when I got my test kit my ammonia was sky high and I ended up doing lots of water changes and in the end my water got clear again. the cloudy water is not a cause for concern at this point in time. it could just be an algae bloom - someone else with more experience may chime in here, but I wouldn't worry about it. it will clear up on its own, or you can do an extra water change to help if you want. biggest thing I have learned is that fresh clean water never hurt your fish at this stage in the game.
Im going to start feeding around 9.
Random-How long should i keep the light on?, It kind of heats up my tank, in the mornings its been at 75, than rises to about 78 around 2 or 3. than ends at 80. Im not sure what temp to set the heater at, so right now its at 80.hmmm?.:D

Honestly guys, Im really excited for this thing to grow. Thanks for all the support and advise you 'wise' people give. :D
I put my responses in red :ROFLMAO:

All of the advice given is sound advice. You have the right idea of "making do" with what you have as sometimes in this hobby you find that when you buy something that is dedicated for your aquarium there is something you have or something cheaper that works just as well.
If you find that a Python or water changer is a little out of your reach. Go ahead and buy a siphon with the gravel vac attachment. Use it for a while. Then when you replenish your aquarium budget. If you do a search on this site there is a d i y on how to make your own Python using the gravel vac you already have.
Also craig's list is an ok source to find thing you need/want. Just be patient and smart when using it.

Just wanted to say that there are all kinds of YouTube videos on every aspect of fish keeping. From water changeling and gravel vacuuming to acclimating new fish, etc.
Also, since money is tight, you can often find supplies cheaper online.
Good luck!

Thanks so much for the help!, I cant get over this stuff. Its weird that i feel a little excited that im going to feed them at 9....hahaha:D I even went to petco...Really its because of all you helpful people.!! Your making the process go by so much easier!!

So, theres a big possibility ill lose some fish by the end of the cycle?
If so which are more likly too?
Also, what if i ever wanted to put plants...i know theres planted tanks but you put the fertlizer and stuff underneath the gravel. Im not going to put alot. I just want color and depth to the whole thing. :D but later on of course.

Plants are good for fish as cover and hiding spots, and they also help keep nitrates lower. Maybe start with some low-light types.

You don't necessarily have to lose any fish. Just keep up the water changes. As soon as you can get the API test kit.

Feeding time!

They honestly thank you:DD:thanks::thanks:

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.02 #7.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.02 #7.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.01.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.01.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.03 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.03 #2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.02.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-15 at 21.02.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 65
So problem..one of my tertas is in the corner by its self. He looks like hes gasping for air.Hes not really moving to much.
Wow as i was writing it, he threw up this dark pink stuff. Im thinking its the food. I didnt see it eat anything though.. Any ideas? it seems to be fine...

When in doubt a 50% water change is a good idea. Not sure about him throwing up. I didn't know fish did that. Sorry.

I agree with Holly here. Anytime you see odd behavior (esp gasping), it indicates its time for a big water change. The weakest fish are usually the first fish to succumb to high levels of ammonia and/or nitrite. The 'throwing up' awhile after eating is a bit odd. Its possible he may have picked up a piece of gravel while scavenging for food & what you saw was him spitting the gravel back out (along with some food). Remember, water changes are going to be your new best friend! Your fish can survive cycling just fine but it means lots of effort on your part to get them through this (lots & lots of water changes). Any time you are in doubt about water changes, do them anyway! Perfectly fine to do more than one a day or even mutiple water changes a day to keep your fish healthy. :)

The chems that claim to speed cycle are a waste of money and do not wrk! Patience and seeding are only two cycle tools... I have been doin this nine yrs... Nvr owned a python. Gravel vac siphon is fine... Even w five tanks... Five gallon buckets from lowes are my friends.

Back
Top Bottom