Moving my goldfish to a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Before I can start this my free 55 gallon needs to be cleaned. I've been at it for a week now and have it laying on it's side soaking the spots in vinegar. My question is does 100 % of the white residue have to be cleaned off before it can be deemed usable for a fish tank? There is a good amount of residue on the underside of the black plastic bar holding the longer glass pieces from bowing.

I don't have anything to test it , but I'm sure it's calcium deposit or lime from hard water.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Was it freshwater beforehand? I know old saltwater tanks are nasty. I have had to clean one out for it to be fresh before.

I believe it was. I was told he had tropicals in it and the filter was a standard HOB filter. I didn't pay too much attention to be honest, all that was going through my head was, " I'm getting a free 55 gallon!". Nothing points to saltwater though.

I'm not asking if I can get away with not cleaning just to be lazy it is just that I need to get this tank up and cycling as quick as possible to get my five commons out of there super crowded twenty standard.

So I've cleaned up to I'd say about 95 % of the tank the only thing left is some small streaks in odd places. I've been using straight distilled vinegar. My question is should I rinse with water before filling and starting the cycle process?

Back
Top Bottom