New 14 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
I'm sorry but a 10 gal tank is not a proper home for 4-6 3" hyperactive catfish.

The much smaller dwarfs are OK..those biggers guys just aren't appropriate for a 10 gal tank.

It's one of those "controversial issues" really. One in which I do not feel like debating on. (I understand your point fully just don't agree) lol.

siva how do u deal with all the new born stuff? ur fish take care of it all?

Oh you mean fry? I don't have any :D lol Well the guppys are all male, so no issues there. In the other livebearer tank the platties are female, so it is possible for me to bring a female home who's already pregnant/holding sperm and end up with fry. Two of the platties were actually dropped off by a female I brought home who died right away....like a month later I spotted the 2 fry in the tank. The only fry I've ever had...I found them quite adorable ;-)

Oh you mean fry? I don't have any :D lol Well the guppys are all male, so no issues there. In the other livebearer tank the platties are female, so it is possible for me to bring a female home who's already pregnant/holding sperm and end up with fry. Two of the platties were actually dropped off by a female I brought home who died right away....like a month later I spotted the 2 fry in the tank. The only fry I've ever had...I found them quite adorable ;-)

LOL xD

Impossible to say because it is normal to have two, or many many more. However I trust everyone in the tank with the little guys or I would put my crystal red shrimp in there :)

EDIT: wouldn't..I meant to say wouldn't put them in there..it's been a long day

i was thinking of crystal shrimp but what after what happened to that platy im trying ghost shrimp first

If you want something for the bottom...well will swim to the top for air too, African Dwarf Frogs are pretty fun. Lol not a fish but I love these little guys. I have guppies, ADF's and some ghost shrimp so you got top to mid range swimmers, bottom and well the shrimps are all over. The frogs are really fun to watch.

I love ADF's too, but I have had some issues getting them food past the fish. They are nearly blind and find their food by smell so they can really struggle with tankmates who can find their foot by sight.

Yeah it's pretty late over there! Well who injured it? How mean to pick on a platy..they are so sweet.

I actually have mine trained haha. I got the small little terracotta pots with the trays from Hobby Lobby and I feed them bloodworms on the tray via turkey baster and have the terracotta pots as hiding places. I tap the glass gently every time I feed them and now every time they hear the tap they come swimming out. Guppies are little piggies so I feed them and ten minutes later feed the frogs....but the gups and shrimp will also have a taste of bloodworms now and then.

Yes that is precisely what I do. I keep them in a species only tank and they still need their feeding in the same place every day to really find it effectively. And even then I have one that is growing twice as fast as another and am constantly trying to get the little one to eat enough. When I kept mine with guppies they would still get down there and get to it before the frogs..I could put more in for the frogs so I knew I wasn't letting them starve..but it was more so the overfeeding the fish got in the process that worried me. I'd love to have them in a community again though. If you are making it work, then kudos to you. ;)

siva said:
I love ADF's too, but I have had some issues getting them food past the fish. They are nearly blind and find their food by smell so they can really struggle with tankmates who can find their foot by sight.

Yeah it's pretty late over there! Well who injured it? How mean to pick on a platy..they are so sweet.

I think the OP's Betta killed it. They were both in a five gallon if I'm remembering the right thread.

Back
Top Bottom