New 14 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They''ll not get bigger than 2, 3 inches and are fairly peaceful. =]

Dylan5359 said:
4 corydoras? Or maybe 1-2 bristle noses?

I wouldn't put any Cory in any tank under 20 gallons because of their activity level.

Also, bristlenoses reach about five inches. I wouldn't put them in there, but I may be wrong.

I wouldn't put any Cory in any tank under 20 gallons because of their activity level.

Also, bristlenoses reach about five inches. I wouldn't put them in there, but I may be wrong.

+1 on the BN's. A single clown pleco would be better for the size.

Clown plecos reach 5" as well as BN. (I was a little off on the BN thanks bttababe) However, I believe the corydoras would do fine with just one dwarf gourami, they would increase your bio load quite a bit though.

You can do more than 2 fish. :p You can do a school of small tetras, like neon tetras, or microrasboras, or some other very small fish.

It's not about overstocking, it's that a 14 gallon doesn't have a big enough footprint for cories IMO. They are really hyper fish.

I suggest sticking with two fish for now. You can always add on later.

Respectfully, if your tank is fully cycled, then you could potentially add a small school at any time. =]

Bettababe1011 said:
It's not about overstocking, it's that a 14 gallon doesn't have a big enough footprint for cories IMO. They are really hyper fish.

I meant one fish will give them more space. A minimum tank size for a Cory is a 10 gallon. They would do mighty fine in a 14 gallon. Maybe get a dwarf type species instead of crossing corys out.

Rosenweiss said:
Respectfully, if your tank is fully cycled, then you could potentially add a small school at any time. =]

And yeah I agree. Plus you don't want to over excite with your self with all the new fish. Usually if you have something new you get tired of it quickly, adding to it overtime, will keep you excited.

I'm doing dwarf cories in one of my 14's that don't even reach 1", I think those are ok for a smaller footprint. On the web you'll see many people keep them in their little planted nano tanks, as small as 4 gals, which I do not agree with, but 10 gals and up is good for them I think. Any larger cories need 20-30 gals as a minimum.

The bettas I have in community tanks are not up at the top alot...they seem to be in the bottom half more than the top. They are very curious, exploring the decor and what not, and the femles anyway always like to hang out with my cories :)

I have four 14 gallons so I'll just tell you what's in mine
1. 2 HiFin Variatus (like a platy), 3 platy, few nerite snails, 2 kinds of shrimp.
2. 10 fancy male guppies and a purple mystery snail.
3. Brackish crabitat...about 8 gals full with land access for fiddler crabs.
4. My newest project, the nano community
5 corydoras hasbrosus
12 boraras brigittae aka mosquito rasbora (teeny tiny nano fish)
3 dario dario aka scarlet badis
6 thai micro crabs
Mini horned nerites

Other great choices for a 14 gal would be ember tetras, neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, sparkling gourami, licorice gourami, even a dwarf gourami :)

I meant one fish will give them more space. A minimum tank size for a Cory is a 10 gallon. They would do mighty fine in a 14 gallon. Maybe get a dwarf type species instead of crossing corys out.

I'm sorry but a 10 gal tank is not a proper home for 4-6 3" hyperactive catfish.

The much smaller dwarfs are OK..those biggers guys just aren't appropriate for a 10 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom