New tank cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this board for the past couple of days taking in all the great information that surrounds this place. I do have a few questions though that I have been getting conflicting information about.

Tomorrow I will be setting up my first freshwater fish tank (29 gallon). I will be using 5 Danios to begin the cycling process. My first question is will I need to do a 20% water change in two weeks, or should I let it sit a little longer (i.e. 3 to 4 weeks)? Obviously if I do a 20% water change I will be removing some of the ammonia and nitrite that the bacteria will need, possibly slowing down the cycling process. But on the other hand I will be helping the fish in that I will be removing some of the toxins.

My second question also has to do with water changes. I already have a python so that the water changes will be fairly easy. However, what do I need to do about filling the tank back up after the water change? Should I fill it back up with the python and then add some de-chlorinator (i.e. ACE) immediately, or should I fill up a 5 gallon bucket and put the ACE in that? The easiest solution is to forego the bucket but I don't want to sacrifice any of my fish in doing so.

Thanks again for all the informative information floating around here. I have learned a tun!!

Tomorrow I will be setting up my first freshwater fish tank (29 gallon). I will be using 5 Danios to begin the cycling process. My first question is will I need to do a 20% water change in two weeks, or should I let it sit a little longer (i.e. 3 to 4 weeks)? Obviously if I do a 20% water change I will be removing some of the ammonia and nitrite that the bacteria will need, possibly slowing down the cycling process. But on the other hand I will be helping the fish in that I will be removing some of the toxins.

Keep an eye on your ammonnia, nitrite, nitrate levels, if they don't spike too bad, let it go till cycle is done.

Should I fill it back up with the python and then add some de-chlorinator (i.e. ACE) immediately, or should I fill up a 5 gallon bucket and put the ACE in that?

Skip the bucket, just put in the appropriate amount of declor, before filling back up and then fill it up. I've never lost a fish doing it this way, with a Python.

Also, ever used a Python before? If not, use a 5 gallon bucket and pretend to do a water change. Using a python without getting water all over the place can be tricky, good idea to practice once or twice before the real thing.

Hey Corvuscorax,

Keep an eye on your ammonnia, nitrite, nitrate levels, if they don't spike too bad, let it go till cycle is done.

Ok. I will be taking readings everyday of both ammonia and nitrite and recording them so that I don't have to remember anything. At what point do you think a change is absolutely necessary (what ppm for ammonia or nitrite for example)?

Also, ever used a Python before? If not, use a 5 gallon bucket and pretend to do a water change. Using a python without getting water all over the place can be tricky, good idea to practice once or twice before the real thing.

Actually I have. We deal in baby red-ear sliders as one of our trades. I have an 85 gallon holding tank that I use two Magnum 350's on. It typically holds between 50-250 turtles at one time. Without the Python, changing the water would be a living hell. Since the turtle don't need any kind of biological filtration, a 100% water change is done about once a week. I have tried it with the 5 gallon bucket before. It took about 10 trips...

How much of each particular pollutant is too much will depend on your individual fish and each's tolerance. Try to start with a hardy type of fish, and keep your levels of ammonia of nitrite at the low end of the scale that comes with your test kit. Remember in a new aquarium, you don't want to remove all of the ammonia and nitrites because the bacteria need food to thrive. When you notice levels climbing too high, do a partial water change and recheck your water to see how much you have removed. You may have to do small, frequent water changes at first to keep things optimal.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Quote from the article on the front page. It's been so long since I cycled a non-planted tank, I can't remember the toxic numbers! :oops:

Planted tanks frequently have a "silent cycle" where the levels never show up till 3-4 weeks in, then bam, you have nitrate. Heavily planted tanks are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Ok. Thanks for your input, Corvuscorax. I will just monitor the levels and make sure there is no "huge" spike. I will probably do a partial change after about a three week period or so and take it from there...

I am so excited. I just got in my hood for my 29 gallon tank. The bio-wheel, comes tomorrow. I can't wait to fill this puppy up.

Back
Top Bottom