New Tank - Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blink182ro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all

I'm moving into a new apartment come June and I want t use this time to prepare/ plan out a community tank. I am relatively new community tanks and the only experience I have is breeding Bettas. I do enjoy aggressive fish more but I also want a community tank because they look a **** of a lot more lively and colorful :). I would love to hear as much advice and tips as possible. My tank size is limited to medium though with a 20 gallon being the minimum. If a link to a site was given to me which could outline possible fish to put into the tank, that would be helpful. Thanks

Welcome to AA!

A 40B makes a wonderful community tank. The extra width makes a big difference when it comes to decorating and stocking.

Get a filter that's rated for twice your tank volume. Manufacturers like to overrate their products.

Do a fishless cycle on the tank. Read the link in my signature for more information. A fishless cycle will save you a lot of time, work, and worry.

Don't use any stocking website for anything more than basic planning. The algorithms those sites use is a little shady. Ask here if you have questions. The experience and information available here trump any stocking site.

Back
Top Bottom