New test kits: results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I figure that the fishless cycle is finally getting close to done! (mabye another wekk to 2 weeks?)
Here are the resualts from my new ap brand test kit:
PH 6.4 (should i do another water change? My tap water is 7.0)
Ammonia 0.75
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 40

Its amazing because when i got it tsted at the LFS the ammonia was 2 and the Nitrite was 4 and the ph was 6.0. As soon as i got the ph above 6 by doing a 60% water change yesterday, the ammonia started going down. How big of a water change should i do?

Do another half. Should raise your PH enough that you may not have to do another change untill the cycle is done.

And as your ph gets closer to 7.0, watch for not only the ammonia to drop, but nitrite as well. If they both start dropping, your about there.

This is a fishless cycle, correct? If so, why do the water changes? Once the cycle is complete do a large water change (about 75 to 80%). It will bring the pH level back up.

Fishyfanatic said:
This is a fishless cycle, correct? If so, why do the water changes?

To help bump the ph up for more efficient bacteria, as around 6.0, the bacteria is not able to do it's job as efficiently.

Have you tested the hardness? Also, after water sits overnight the pH will change. Ours is about 8.2 out of the tap and 7.8 after 24 hours. If you do a large water change before adding the fish you shouldn't have to worry about the pH as long as the water has the buffering capability.

If i understand correctly, the ph of 6.4 causes the bacteria to work mor eslowly, so if i get the Ph higher, it will be faster. Also i should re test the tap water if my old zPh test was as in accurate as my old ammonia test.

Check the tap AFTER it sits out overnight. It doesn't really matter what the reading is straight out of the tap unless it sits.

UPDATE
Todays results:
Ph: 6.5
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite:5.0
Nitrate: 40+ (Hard to tell, the test kit is like, red, red, red, dark red! :p LOL)
I should bring the ammonia up to 1.0 right? Ill do a water change today to get the Ph back up.

Back
Top Bottom