Recommendations please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsoxfan692

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I stumbled upon this forum after searching countless sites and looking for advice as well as general discussions on aquarium care and information.

Currently I own a 10 gal tetra tank with 5 tetras and 2 glofish and 1 pleco (pleco will be relocated soon). I have another 10 gal and 15 gal that are not currently used and am about to purchase a 55 gal tank. I know that the larger tanks are more stable for fish but I need some advice on which direction to take with the larger tank. I plan on using the other 10 gal tank as a quarantine and medical tank and the other 15 gal tank will probably be given to a friend as his daughter wants to start keeping fish and I figure it will help keep her enthusiasm up.

So anyway, about the 55 gal tank. I cannot decide if I want to keep a tropical community tank or go the cichlid route. I know that cichlids are often harder to keep and much research has to be done in order to ensure that the right varieties are together and that I'm not mixing aggressive with non-aggressive.

Some things that I need help with is how to set up the tank to cycle correctly. I am considering using pool filter sand instead of gravel as I like the look better. I am purchasing an Emperor 400 filter for the 55 gal tank. Should I use one or two of these for the 55gal tank? I plan on buying at least a 200w heater for the tank as well. I would like to add living plants but with me working constantly, I don't know that I'll have the time to do the CO2 treatments in order for it to work properly and if I do go the Cichlid route, the plants will be destroyed quite easily by the fish. I do know that I want rock in the tank because not only do I want a healthy habitat for the fish, I want a great looking tank for my family and for friends that come over.

I'm also a bit confused on light setups. I'd like to add moon lighting to the tank as well as make sure I have the right day lights set up. Any advice on this would be more than helpful.

So basically a nutshell version of the thread would be I have a new 55gal that I will do a fishless cycle on and need advice on the filter setups, the lighting setups and if sand would be an easy substrate to use. The reason I am asking about sand, is because I want to make sure I can use the gravel vac on the sand and not have cloudy water for days or disturb the bacterial cycle after a water change.

only thing I need to add to this is a bit of advice. Do research before buying fish.. I made the mistake of jumping into it and bought some pink gourami's at the LFS (horrible experience) and they ended up attacking my pleco and I found out they need a minimum of 55 gal to survive anyway. Thankfully the LFS took them back.

Thanks for reading this rambling thread. I just want to do things correctly so the fish will have a healthy and happy home and I will have an enjoyable tank to look at.

*note* plans are to go to at least a 125 gal in the future but that will be after the 55 is established and will be almost a year out before this happens.

:n00b:

For a 55 gal I would go a cichlid route.

As far as sand you can mix som regular gravel with it, fine sand will eventually stop creating dust once you get some bacteria on it.

For sure do a fishless cycle and add lots of ammonia so you get a good Bacteria Colony as for cichlids it's best to add them all at once and around the same size to reduce agression. Another thing to look for is Holly Rocks they not only adjust your PH but they create hiding spots for cichlids.

*lots of ammonia* is kind of vague, and also could stall the cycle, so to explain a little more. I think the general "best value" is 5ppm (you didn't say anything about a test kit, so api master test kit is a suggestion)

For lighting, if you want plants, you want to aim for 1.5-2 wpg. Some lights come with moonlighting, but you could make your own as well. One Emperor should do fine, and as for plants, Anubias and java fern are pretty hardy. (used the fern with brichardis)

As for cleaning sand, you should be able to get most of it before you put it in your tank (tilted bucket and hose) and gravel vac'cing shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for the advice. I have an API kit already, so I'll just need to get the sand and the rocks I want before I start the cycle. I'm going to look into plants and the co2 kits as well. I think we've decided to go the Cichlid route. As far as rocks go, what types should I look for and does anyone know a good source?

I'll also need some advice on which breeds of Cichlids to choose to try and lessen any aggressive behavior. The other thing that we are a bit clueless on is when the Cichlids mate and parent. What does one do with the frys?

I forgot to ask one thing about filtration. I've always heard alot of good things about the Emperor 400's, but I'm curious as to the cannister/sponge systems work and if they are worth the price. What benefits does that setup give me over the Emperor? Is it even worth it in a 55gal?

If you go cichlids are you going to use African or South American. There are both that are on the smaller side that will be fine with planted tanks. Most cichlids guard their fry, so when you decide what other fish to put in the tank keep that in mind. South American and African cichlids have different water requirements.

I am planning on a kribnsis cichlid when I set up my corner tank and it will be planted most likely I will do a biotope.
Kribensis Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish
I have also thought of GBR or Bolivian rams, but I would have to order them.

Also you might want to try to get some good bacteria from your tank not to use in your 55 gallon, either by filter medium or items in the tank.

If you do decide on pool sand consider getting some MTS to help with areobic pockets.

You don't have to have CO2 to have a low light/tech planted tank. I have found crypts do every well without CO2 in one of my tanks. I don't know how they would do with sand as a substrate.

As far as the low light plants go, are they hardy enough to stand up to the Cichlids? I was considering African Cichlids and if I remember correctly, they can do quite a bit of damage to plants. I may be wrong on that though.

also, what is MTS? I'm still learning all the lingo in the aquarium world :)

I figure as long as I don't overstock the tank and give the Cichlids enough hiding spots then if I do add other varieties of fish, there shouldn't be too much fighting.. but I may have to add the Cichlids after the others since most of the reading I've done says to add the most aggressive fish last.

Thanks for all the input so far! You guys have been a big help and I hope to learn even more :)

The kribensis I am planning are African and those are plant safe, very mild mannered as well. I thought about peacock cichlids because they aren't aggressive either but I haven't done enough research to see how plant safe they are. Peacocks aren't to hard to get here but they are usually seasonal since there is a breeder locally that brings in their fry.

MTS= Malaysian trumpet snails

I notice you're in NC also. Do you mind me asking which part? I cannot find a decent LFS anywhere around here. They don't know much about what they sell and only care about making a buck or two.

I never even thought of snails.. I'll have to do some research on those as well. I want to have a pretty good CUC, but figured as long as I had some Cory's around it would suffice, but I may be wrong on that :)

We were considering Convicts, but at this point since I haven't even started the FLC (Fishless Cycle, I guess that's the abbreviation for it) I can easily change plans and directions.

Do you know of any good rock suppliers or even what types of rock I should be looking for?

My low light plants like Java fern and Cryptocorynes did wonderfully with my African cichlids, although I had them tied to rocks and in pots... But the Mbuna actually used the plants the same way they used caves... hiding among the leaves...

I am right outside of Charlotte. There is a couple of little mom and pop stores I enjoy going to, that is why I was asking you about kribs I saw some a couple of weeks ago that was fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom