small cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceuppercut

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are there any commonly available cichlids that can be kept in a 10 gallon tank?
Maybe only one or two

Or occurs which are related to multis. Maybe google "multis cichlid" or "occies cichlid" for better results.

Definitely check out multis or multies, however you wanna spell them. I've got some in a 10g and they are quite possibly my favorite fish.

A single or a pair of Kribensis cichlids can be kept in a 10 gallon. My LFS was selling them for around 5 bucks each! They're inexpensive and have really nice coloration. I've read that they are a bit easier to keep in comparison to the Rams (with the exception of the Bolivians). However, the GBR's iridescent markings are an upsell for me.

A single or a pair of Kribensis cichlids can be kept in a 10 gallon. My LFS was selling them for around 5 bucks each! They're inexpensive and have really nice coloration. I've read that they are a bit easier to keep in comparison to the Rams (with the exception of the Bolivians). However, the GBR's iridescent markings are an upsell for me.

I would love to agree with you, but i just couldnt see putting my guys in a 10 gal because they breed so much they need space to take their fry for a cruise around the tank. I wouldnt go lower than 20 long with them. Im a +1 for multis.

I would love to agree with you, but i just couldnt see putting my guys in a 10 gal because they breed so much they need space to take their fry for a cruise around the tank. I wouldnt go lower than 20 long with them. Im a +1 for multis.

Well as the original poster mentioned, I'm not sure how "common" the multis are? I've been to like 7 private fish stores in Southern Cali and haven't seen them in person. They maybe a nice fish with interesting behavior, but I have no experience with them. However, from what I see in pics and on youtube, they appear very shy and a tad bland in color IMHO. I have, however, seen kribs, apistogramma agassizii, and rams in many shops locally. The kribs and the rams (with the exception of the electric blues) are inexpensive and quite common. The agassizii are a bit pricey at like $30~$40 a pair (and even more on liveaquaria.com). I personally like fish that have color and are interesting to look at, that's why my vote are for rams, kribs, or agassiziis--but to each their own, I'm just weighing in. If kribs breed so much as you said, will a single krib for a 10g with some small community fish work (lanceuppercut did mention "Maybe only one or two")? If not, my pair of GBR's are thriving well with my small community fish in my tiny 12 gal. Moreover, their colors have since deepened from when I got them about a month ago--I'm really enjoying them! (y)

Back
Top Bottom