Starting another tank!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boadams87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I already have a 30 gal well established, will be starting a 150 gal. My question is can I put in some extra media in my established tank and then transfer it to my new tank? And what kind of media do I use? Where do I put it in my tank to get BB to grow in it? And how long do I need to leave it in my est.tank? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanx

Use any type of media you can. Stuff it into the filter unit and leave it there for at least 3 weeks, if you can.

Are you transferring the inhabitants of the smaller tank to the larger?

So it has to be put in the filter? I thought maybe I could just place it in the btm of my tank. Yes im moving my oscar to it. Oh my filter has 2 slots for media and I have 2 in it already, will it cause my tank to mini cycle if I remove one?

The vast majority of beneficial bacteria are found on the filter media, within the filter unit itself. If you put it on the bottom of the tank, you'll end up with fish waste and food detritus on it..... I wouldn't do it.

No, you probably won't have a mini cycle. It's the same as when I change out one cartridge, but leave the other. No problems.

Ok. Ill just use the media from that filter then and just add another filter back in its place. Thanx.

Back
Top Bottom