Tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey6453

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok I have a 29 gallon tank that I believe is going thru the cycling process. I'm getting mixed opinions on rather to do a water change or not. My levels are Ammonia 0ppm...Nitrite 5ppn...Nitrate between 20-40ppm...I have 4 white finned rosy tetras in the tank and it was suggested that I should do a water change, and another says let the cycling process go. It's almost there. What is the best thing to do?

ForumRunner_20131205_181736.jpg

I am in your exact situation. Everyone I talk to on the internet recommends WCs when you find amonia and nitrates above a certain level. Both fish stores I have talked to recommended not touching anything for 4-6 weeks. I have opted to go for option #2... although its been 3 weeks and my levels are 0 amonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I have 4 golden pristella tetra in a medium planted tank also 29g.

To be extra safe I would call your LFS, let them know your levels and see what they think.

Have you been asking on other forums, and did they know you have fish in there?
The WC question is differing if you are doing a fishless cycle, but with fish-in you can't let the nitrItes get that high.
People on this forum recommend a WC at .25 ammonia OR nitrItes.
Do a WC right away for the health of your tetras!

You can add a little Prime, or aquarium salt. The prime will be effective for 24 hours, and the salt will work as long as its in there. Nitrites make the gills less effective, but the salt will reduce that. Personally, I'd use the Prime and do a water change. So long as your nitrites are at detectable levels, doing a water change won't hurt your cycle.

Fish In Tank Cycling

Ok I have a 29 gallon tank that I believe is going thru the cycling process. I'm getting mixed opinions on rather to do a water change or not. My levels are Ammonia 0ppm...Nitrite 5ppn...Nitrate between 20-40ppm...I have 4 white finned rosy tetras in the tank and it was suggested that I should do a water change, and another says let the cycling process go. It's almost there. What is the best thing to do?

View attachment 210738

Hello Mike...

Briefly, this is how the fish in nitrogen cycle works: You add a few, small, hardy fish. The waste the fish produce starts the cycle. You get a reliable water testing kit and test every day for ammonia and nitrite. When a test shows a trace of either of these forms of nitrogen you remove 25 to 30 percent of the tank water and replace that with pure, treated tap water.
Don't remove more or you take away the food for the growing bacteria that will eventually help keep the water clean.

You just test every day and replace the right amount of water when needed. When you have several daily tests that show no ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

Be patient. The process takes about a month.

B

I've been in the hobby since the 70's and when your doing an in fish cycle you should do a 50% WC anytime ammonia or nitrites rise above .25ppm. You do this for the health and safety of the fish. Just because a fish store says don't do a WC for 6-8 weeks does not make it correct and if you do some research you'll find WC's and testing while doing a fish in cycle is a must. Not doing WC's may make things easy for you but in essence your poisoning your fish with ammonia and or nitrites.

I've been in the hobby since the 70's and when your doing an in fish cycle you should do a 50% WC anytime ammonia or nitrites rise above .25ppm. You do this for the health and safety of the fish. Just because a fish store says don't do a WC for 6-8 weeks does not make it correct and if you do some research you'll find WC's and testing while doing a fish in cycle is a must. Not doing WC's may make things easy for you but in essence your poisoning your fish with ammonia and or nitrites.

+1

If you want your cycle to be over fast, all you need to do is find somebody with a running aquarium and take a good amount of their biomedia out of their filter and put it in yours.

Back
Top Bottom