Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireabigailq

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everbody! I am hoping for some advise, I plan on getting a school of silvertip tetras and a school of neon tetras, will they be aggresive towards each other? if so how will I acclimate them? I am getting the silvertip tetras a few months before the neons ( I heard that neons do better in 4-5 month old established tanks). Any advise you can give me would be great!

this has nothing to do with this post but, can you guys suggest a good bottom feeder? I have a ten gallon and I don't get a lot of algae

I don't have any advice for your first post, but in my 10 gallon I have Amano Shrimp and the are Wonderful!!!! I love how they play around, and swim with the fish, and hang upside down on the surface of the water trying to catch food :D
They are also wonderful scavengers and keel my tank sparkly clean :smilecolros:

Silver tips are beautiful fish but mine were too lively for my quieter tetras. They chased around all the time causing havoc and scaring the neons etc. I removed them and peace reined. I would go ahead and buy the silver tips but observe their behaviour in your set up before introducing a fairly timid fish such as neons. If you go ahead then ensure you introduce a good shoal of neons. - safety in numbers.

Silver tips are beautiful fish but mine were too lively for my quieter tetras. They chased around all the time causing havoc and scaring the neons etc. I removed them and peace reined. I would go ahead and buy the silver tips but observe their behaviour in your set up before introducing a fairly timid fish such as neons. If you go ahead then ensure you introduce a good shoal of neons. - safety in numbers.

This is only a 10g tank. My understanding is silver tips are recommended 15g and neons are 20g

I ran this through aqua advisor and there is nothing wrong with my plan so far. Are zebra danios any better in activity level than silvertip tetras?

Could I do a school of zebra danios and a school of silvertip tetras and a few ghost shrimp? If I did do that, could the tetras and danios eat the same food? ( pellets, flakes, and bloodworms?) thanks

Hi everbody! I am hoping for some advise, I plan on getting a school of silvertip tetras and a school of neon tetras, will they be aggresive towards each other? if so how will I acclimate them? I am getting the silvertip tetras a few months before the neons ( I heard that neons do better in 4-5 month old established tanks). Any advise you can give me would be great!

What size tank ??

Silvertips need swimming room. Lovely fish tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, reading too many threads. Didn't realize you were the OP asking two questions on one thread.

If your tank is a 10g then Zebra Danios are not recommended. They are fast and need room to swim. They can also be nippy to other fish.

Neons can do ok in a 10g. It's not ideal, but you could do 5 or 6.

Cardinals are larger and prefer warmer waters and bigger tanks.

Silvertips are too big for a 10g.

If you are speaking of two different tanks please be clear about this.

What size tank are you wanting advice about stocking Tetras ??

What are the dimensions of your 10g Long ??? Never seen one.

Once we know dimensions, then stocking advice is easier.

AquaAdvisor can help as well. Not perfect, but it's a decent tool.

I am sorry for not being clear enough, I thank you for correcting me. My tank is 24 long, 12 tall, 10 deep, I have only one tank, the point of this thread is to come up with a type of fish that could go with neon or cardinal tetras, I am hoping for something that is a little bit hardy so I can stock with them first. Thanks!

I am also wondering what fish I should go with, neons or cardinals. Are one of them more shy then the other?

With the length I think you could get away with either but Neons are smaller and would fit a small tank better. If you want hardy, get Glowlights ( not Glo fish ).

It's still only 10g so that fills up fast.

I'd say 5-6 Tetras. I'd recommend Ember Tetras. Small and colorful.
Or I'd recommend CPDs. Mine are shy, but so pretty. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396632288.726753.jpg

And then a group of little Cories C habrosus or C hastatus or C pygmaeus.
My habrosus
azahezaj.jpg

Plenty of plants.

I didn't want to get neon tetras because they can get neon tetra disease, I don't have a quarantine tank ( apart from a 1 1/2 gallon bowl) do you still suggest them?

Back
Top Bottom