The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
Yep...

Well it's clearing up, still should wait a bit more before putting in plants, the fish are starting to improve....

Are you doing water changes? Did you really stirr things up when you pulled the plants?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yep...

Well it's clearing up, still should wait a bit more before putting in plants, the fish are starting to improve....

Sorry, I was the one that recommended ripping out the plants and rinsing them wasn't I? I hope it starts to get better, don't sell it; you cant give up!

Nah, it's cool dude :)

Yep, as I put water in w/ a hose I was taking water out with a siphon.

Well the tank is clear, but now I'm afraid to mess with it since there's a big layer of black dirt on top of the substrate and need to finish my HW or else....

I suspect it was those cheap root tabs I got. Shoulda known...

As of now all the cories and the SAE are alive. Down to 5 cards and approximately 7 rasboras.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Nah, it's cool dude :)

Yep, as I put water in w/ a hose I was taking water out with a siphon.

Well the tank is clear, but now I'm afraid to mess with it since there's a big layer of black dirt on top of the substrate and need to finish my HW or else....

I suspect it was those cheap root tabs I got. Shoulda known...

As of now all the cories and the SAE are alive. Down to 5 cards and approximately 7 rasboras.

Im really mad over here for ya man, thats unfair.

Hw? Fish!! Jk, i gottcha

Ok man, hows it goin?

Ive been thinking about how the hek this happened all day dude...:(

Ok man, hows it goin?

Ive been thinking about how the hek this happened all day dude...:(

Still cloudy, still dirt on the substrate, still looks like a mess, still dead fish...I'm thinking about downsizing.

Can I ask what kind of cheap root tabs you used that made the huge mess?

API Root tabs. They were about 10 bucks, cheap compared to the 20$ high quality ones.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Still cloudy, still dirt on the substrate, still looks like a mess, still dead fish...I'm thinking about downsizing.

API Root tabs. They were about 10 bucks, cheap compared to the 20$ high quality ones.

Sheesh. Im so sorry. How is there dirt though?

Probably from the disintegration of the root tabs.

The plants do not look in good shape at all. They will need some TLC, which I do not have time for, unfortunately.

And it seems I have killed all but four cardinal tetras. And at this point the LFS has run out of the jumbo ones and are out of stock for a bit. And they were the only LFS where they weren't ich-infected...

And unfortunately buying fish has been postponed, due to circumstances...

So I'm basically just going to have to clean this up and wait it out until Easter to get my fish.

bruinsbro1997 said:

The plants do not look in good shape at all. They will need some TLC, which I do not have time for, unfortunately.

And it seems I have killed all but four cardinal tetras. And at this point the LFS has run out of the jumbo ones and are out of stock for a bit. And they were the only LFS where they weren't ich-infected...

So I'm basically just going to have to clean this up and wait it out until Easter to get my fish.

Man, im not even sure what i'd do in this situation. Maybe get a 30 for these remaining fish, and use the 40 for the sw tank in the summer!

Actually, I was thinking about that.

I'm going to wait it out and see how long it will take before the plants start looking like plants again (right now they look like...bowties?)

I'm doing some massive water changes Friday. See if that cleans things up and gets things back on track.

Hopefully...

bruinsbro1997 said:
Actually, I was thinking about that.

I'm going to wait it out and see how long it will take before the plants start looking like plants again (right now they look like...bowties?)

I'm doing some massive water changes Friday. See if that cleans things up and gets things back on track.

Hopefully...

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Whats the stock as of now? Im wondering if you could keep them in a 30...

Actually, I don't think I can. The SAE full-grown might not be able to fit in a 30G.

The rest (cories, rasboras, perhaps cards if they survive) will fit.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Actually, I don't think I can. The SAE full-grown might not be able to fit in a 30G.

The rest (cories, rasboras, perhaps cards if they survive) will fit.

Hmm..i forgot about the sae. Oh well.

Hopefully this tank can be cleaned up! Lots of gravel vacs hovering above the surface...try not to kick anything up!

I am genuinely sorry about your tank's issues. That sucks and losing fish is an expensive problem. :(
Honestly, I don't think you should add anymore fish right now anyways though until you have some tank issues sorted out. Hopefully you can resolve it, but since school seems pretty demanding on your time right now anyways, I think that waiting awhile to add more fish is actually a good thing in this case. Once you get everything sorted out, you can add fish again (or downgrade to a smaller tank).
I know its hard, but keep your chin up. You are a dedicated fish keeper and thats not the most common thing. I am sure you will pull the tank through as best as you can. :)

Hmm..i forgot about the sae. Oh well.

Hopefully this tank can be cleaned up! Lots of gravel vacs hovering above the surface...try not to kick anything up!

See, this is a problem. Right when I get ready for a water change, all the crud goes into and back down the gravel. I checked on it today and its all gone...

I am genuinely sorry about your tank's issues. That sucks and losing fish is an expensive problem. :(
Honestly, I don't think you should add anymore fish right now anyways though until you have some tank issues sorted out. Hopefully you can resolve it, but since school seems pretty demanding on your time right now anyways, I think that waiting awhile to add more fish is actually a good thing in this case. Once you get everything sorted out, you can add fish again (or downgrade to a smaller tank).
I know its hard, but keep your chin up. You are a dedicated fish keeper and thats not the most common thing. I am sure you will pull the tank through as best as you can. :)
Thanks! :)
I don't plan on adding anymore. I'm thinking about waiting until school is over, when my priorities change since I don't have school anymore. I know everyone goes through a low point somewhat in fish keeping, so I guess I'll try my best.

i know how you feel... ive barely been on the site at all, and school and stuff has pressured me, so ive been neglecting my tanks a bit...

Back
Top Bottom