What is the best test kit to use to monitor Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LozzyBear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I went to my local aquarium store (im new to this by the way) and asked for water testers as I am doing a fishless cycle to start off with. So that was all good. Anyway, come today I bought another bag of gravel because there wasn't enough, and some plants so I can start my fishless cycle.
I am just about to put the water in when I thought I should get everything ready so I know how much ammonia to put in the tank.
A guide on here says 4ppm... how am I supposed to measure this?

And also, my water testing kit does not test for ammonia!
It tests for pH, KH, GH, NO2 and NO3.:(

Which is a good test kit to start out with? When the test strips say my water is ready I am going to take a sample to the pet store just to make sure everything is okay before I introduce my fish.

Thanks for reading all of this...
a rundown

1. How do I measure for ammonia,
2. What is a good water tester for ammonia included?

Thanks for your time and responses :) anything is greatly appreciated.

LB
x

LozzyBear said:
Hey guys,

I went to my local aquarium store (im new to this by the way) and asked for water testers as I am doing a fishless cycle to start off with. So that was all good. Anyway, come today I bought another bag of gravel because there wasn't enough, and some plants so I can start my fishless cycle.
I am just about to put the water in when I thought I should get everything ready so I know how much ammonia to put in the tank.
A guide on here says 4ppm... how am I supposed to measure this?

And also, my water testing kit does not test for ammonia!
It tests for pH, KH, GH, NO2 and NO3.:(

Which is a good test kit to start out with? When the test strips say my water is ready I am going to take a sample to the pet store just to make sure everything is okay before I introduce my fish.

Thanks for reading all of this...
a rundown

1. How do I measure for ammonia,
2. What is a good water tester for ammonia included?

Thanks for your time and responses :) anything is greatly appreciated.

LB
x

What test kit did you get? I think most people on here would recommend the API Master freshwater liquid test kit. Strips aren't too precise, so do yourself a favor and invest in a decent kit, you'll be using it a *lot* for your cycle. Just be patient and keep up the testing and you'll get through it fine! Most of us did! Feel fee to post any other questions you have along the way, everyone's always glad to help. Good luck!

The API Master Freshwater is the way to go. I measure everyting you need to get thru your cycle. Stay away from the strips. They are not very accurate, if they even work. If you haven't opened and used the one you got, maybe you can return it and get the API.

Awesome, thanks for the advice :)
I haven't used any, no, so I will see if I can return them.

Thankyou :)
:fish1:

The problem with the strips is actually that most people use them wrong (although they do have a small margin of error regardless)... But yes, the liquid API master test kit is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom