Where'd Nitrates go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice....happy you found them!

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

Congrats! Good job

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

And I was hoping for invisible algae to eat the nitrates for me, :D.
But, the shaking of the test tube does remind me of something else as well.

You should dose up to 2-3ppm ammo tonight, and if ammo and nitrItes drop to 0 in 24 hours, do a large (90%) pwc to lower the nitrAtes, then go get some fish!!! If that happens...cycle complete!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

If the ammonia and nitrites disappear in 24 hours at todays reading, I'll still hold off until Friday to get any fish. Make sure that the cycle is truly done and the bacteria well established, as well as the fact that these gas prices limit travel a little.

Nice job. I recommend doing a 50 percent water change to get some.buffers back in there to stabilize your ph and putting in a minuscule amount of ammonia just to keep the BB fat and happy. Then 24 hours before fish, do another 50 percent PWC and forgo the ammonia. As Eco said.... don't forget to turn down the heater. Congrats. Your effort will be rewarded.

Deckape said:
Nice job. I recommend doing a 50 percent water change to get some.buffers back in there to stabilize your ph

Huh? where did the buffers go?

They get used up in the process of nitrification.Eco got this info from 7Enigma, that is reason 7Enigma believes most people have a big ph crash towards or at the end of cycling.

Do you have a link? Nitrification occurs throughout the life cycle of an aquarium...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, just curious about this.

Can't link it but look in the tips and tricks article from 7 Enigma, specifically the reply to Eco23 from him on 01 April 2011.

Back
Top Bottom