Convict Blenny is now throwing up mucus plugs - see update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty sal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please look at my sick cat in my gallery . Was doing ok until the weekend - started scratching against the sand more that usual - now is listless, doesn't act stressed - stays out of hiding, not eating, color still good but belly looks swollen and the tail looks a little frayed. The other has been acting normal. all others seem fine. No recent additions to tack- all tests WNL

Your "catfish" is a Pholidichthys leucotaenia, aka convict/engineering blenny. They spend their time burrowing in the substrate once settled and are rarely found out and about unless in a very peaceful tank. With the types of crabs you have and the frayed tail on the fish, I'd suspect them moreso than an illness.

What others are in the tank besides the seahorse?

Cheers
Steve

Fish throwing up

I have 3 chromes,a damsel,2 clowns,decorator crab,a brittle,and another blenny. Today she is still not eating and I saw her cough up a white mucus looking "glob" and see others at the surface. Also so small dark color oblong "things" at the water line - see photo - as you see she is hovering around them. Have white specks on inside of glass since yesturday

Re: Fish throwing up

salty sal said:
Today she is still not eating and I saw her cough up a white mucus looking "glob" and see others at the surface.
Not sure what you mean by "see others at the surfcace"? I looked at the photo and only saw the Seahorse and blenny. The blenny could have some sort of internal infection, bladder problem or internal parasite. At this point I cannot tell by the pics in your gallery. I would suggest you have a proper quarantine set up for the fish in the event it's needed for treatment.

Also so small dark color oblong "things" at the water line - see photo - as you see she is hovering around them. Have white specks on inside of glass since yesturday
I checked the photo's in your gallery, the one you are refering to is labeled "what is this?" :?: . The image is too blurry to make out any definition and I am not able to see what you are refering to. When editing photo's, before you crop them to reduce file size alter the image size firsy to 640x480 pixles. This will allow a fair amount of image definition to remain and still reduce the file size down to less than 100 kb without sacrificing quality. I would also recommend a tri-pod or stacking something up high where the camera can rest when possible. It will help eliminate fuzzy pics. I am not that great with a camera myself and am not trying to make this a photo-tip session, just trying to better understand what may be wrong with the blenny, if through a pic so be it.

In liew of better pics, is there any other odd behavour other than the "mucus glob" it spit up? Anything on the fish itself? White spots, whitish bits of stringy matter or the like? The other fish not harassing the blenny?

Cheers
Steve

Thank you for your suggestions about the camera & photos - will try that! Could it be babies at the surface - they had blocked off an area with sand - this morning when I left she was out of the burrow on the bottom - no longer in apparent stress - her color were more a dark grey yesterday but better today and no change or blemishes in her markings

salty sal said:
Could it be babies at the surface - they had blocked off an area with sand - this morning when I left she was out of the burrow on the bottom - no longer in apparent stress
This is actually very normal behavour for this fish, it's still far to immature for young'uns. They grow well upto 8+" and change color markings as they get bigger. It spends most all of it's time digging and burrowing under the substrate. They will if possible try making connecting tunnels throughout the tank. If you have not already, be absolutely sure the rock is touching the glass on the bottom of the tank. Once they get going, any rock sitting on the surface substrate will be undermined and likely cause an avalanche.

her color were more a dark grey yesterday but better today and no change or blemishes in her markings
Might just have been an adjustment period or a hick up in an otherwise healthy fish. Definately keep tabs on it's continued health and be sure to post back if you notice firther problems.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom