Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

All:

General literature on this subject says Freezing is the way to go - I know it sounds really bad, but this is supposed to be the least painful, most humane way out barring powerful sedatives.

But, bottom line, I think you should let whatever it is run it's course, because there is no sure way of determining what will really happen and I'm not so sure any of us are in the position to take this on fairly.

Tom

Old 01-28-2004, 03:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

how to kill a fish

you guys have got it all wrong, if you wanna kill a fish the first thing you have to do is get a cat.. doesn't really matter if it is your cat or the neighbours, bring him inside, put his little head up against the glass and show him your sick fish, at this stage your sick little friend has seen the cat and starts to panic, thinking to himself. i'm gonna be eaten and starts swimming really fast around the tank..
OK now that you have done this, it starts to get really trickey, you have to be able to grab the cat and in one fell swoop be able to lift the cat and insert him into the tank, replace all glass covers and the hood without him scratching you.
now comes the fun part, as you slowly watch the cat swimming around inside the tank looking like a rat, you will also notice that your fish is nowhere to be seen, at this stage he is hiding behind a rock shi**ing himself thinking that he was not that sick really and now wants to live.
after approx 30 seconds remove cat, feed your fish and i guarantee that your little mate will make a full recovery..
OH and removing the cat is optional!!!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
Working at the pet store what I would sometimes do and my co workers would do is net the terminally ill fish and with the fish still in the net give it a great wack on the table/cart. Usually the fish is instantly dead...sometime it takes a couple wacks....
Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
If you do choose to freeze, start out with water from the tank, so that there's no initial stress from water parameter changes, and place it in the freezer.

I'm still going to boil, though, because it's over lightening quick, literally. The key to ending distress immediately is to destroy the CNS as quickly as possible.

Letting a fish flop around out of water before whacking or beheading it seems very cruel, on top of what is done next.

After fishing, I'll whack a fish on the skull to knock it out before cleaning it. I've seen people cut their heads off without knocking them out first, and the mouth and gills continue to move for a few minutes.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I go with the freezing cold water method. But i dont put it in the freezer. I just get a glass of water and a lot of ice, stir it around until it is freezing cold, then quickly put the fish in. In my experiences, the fish have gone instantly motionless.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ericosuave
i think the quickest way would be to throw em in a blender and press the chop ice button a few times.. and violla! takes like 1 nano second.. and hes dead.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericosuave
i think the quickest way would be to throw em in a blender and press the chop ice button a few times.. and violla! takes like 1 nano second.. and hes dead.
Now that was just wrong.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
If you do choose to freeze, start out with water from the tank, so that there's no initial stress from water parameter changes, and place it in the freezer.
Putting them in a small container of water and then letting it freeze is very stressful on the fish, it takes several minutes for the water to cool enough to have an effect on the fish. Icing down tank water is the prefferred freezing method. The fish will instantly go into hypothermic shock, it may still be alive, but it doesn't know it and doesn't feel anything. According to what I have read.

Regargless, if you choose to euthanize your fish, the method is a personal choice, just like the topic of euthanasia the method chosen is a highly debatable issue. Lets try not to be grotesque or condemn others for the methods they choose.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hate to say it but I have always used the old flush method... I really thought that it was quick.. Now I feel like a total shmuck.... Thanks for educating me on the error of my ways...
Old 01-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 22 inch Red Tail Cat that takes care of all of my sick fish for me. Salt or fresh doesn't matter. Sorry to be so blunt, but I can "kill two birds with one stone".

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com