Tough, Slimey Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
For the past few months, I have had a slimey green algae (with patches of brown algae) infest my fish-only aquarium glass and rocks/dead coral. It's not the typical algae I used to get (leafy and easily wiped clean with a sponge). I tried scrubbing some of the rocks, pieces and the glass to remove the algae, but it almost seems permanently baked in. It looks very unpretty, and I know it's affecting my water clarity.
The water parameters are all norm, and my fish seem healthy. I haven't been using any chemicals and perform patial water changes every 2-3 weeks. My lighting consists of one Coralife 50/50 and one Coralife 10,000 degree K bulb, and the tank is not in any direct sunlight. I operate the lighting from 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM each night (via timer).
Any ideas as to why this slime is growing or what I can do/use to prevent it is appreciated!

How much/what/how often do you feed?
You can probably reducin your lighting to 8-10 hours.
What are your phosphates/nitrAtes numbers?
What kind of canister/how3 often do you clean it?

What is your feeding schedule?

Could you post the actual numbers on those water parameters?

Do you have a cleaning crew? Are your current fish compatible with adding one?

I feed my fish frozen meals about once every 2-3 days (currently I have a snowflake, clown grouper and tomato clown).
My last nitrate test (last week) was below 10. Though I've never tested for phosphates, I do use Phos-Zorb in my cannister filter, and replace it about every 3-4 weeks when cleaning my Fluval 3-series cannister filter. I also use BioChem carbon filter (also replaced every 3-4 weeks), BioMax filter material, and the foam block. Unfortunately, my current inhabitants would make appetizers out of any cleaning crew.
How concerned should I be of this type of algae?

How concerned should I be of this type of algae?

It is definitely an indication of excess nutriens in your tank.
I think you have two messy eaters, snowflake eel(?) and grouper, in a 45G tank (which will be too smal for those guys).

These fish never leave any leftovers. I try to monitor how much I feed them carefully by basically hand feeding each piece of food one-by-one. The grouper gets his swallow-size pieces first (not by my choice!), then the clown gets some mysis shrimp, followed by the eel (one bite-size piece at a time). I'm usually careful not to overfeed or leave food floating in the water.
I know the grouper is going to get too large for the tank, and I plan on exchanging him at my LFS for a smaller fish once he begins to look cramped. Unfortunately, I don't have the space right now for a larger capacity tank.

Any chance you can get us a pic?
I think you can cut back on your lighting. I run mine for 8 hours, others run them for 10 hours. Start with that nad see what happens.
BTW what kind of substrate do you have?

I can try to get a pic of the algae that wouldn't scrub off...I'll post it up when I can.
My bedding is crushed coral. I used to operate a UG filter before I installed my protein skimmer about 5 months ago, but don't anymore. And I'll cut the lighting back to 8 hours as well.

Thanks again for all the advice/comments!

My new recommendation for any algae problems is a Kole' yellow eye tang. I had a pretty bad agae problem and my blennies were fighting a loosing battle. I got a Kole' tang that is only about 4 inches long and he is a powerful force in algae control off the rocks and the glass. I personally think with my experience that you may be doing water changes too often. Everytime I do a partial change since I use tap water and instant ocean salt I get a small boom. Just my opinion.

tweaver001 said:
I personally think with my experience that you may be doing water changes too often. Everytime I do a partial change since I use tap water and instant ocean salt I get a small boom. Just my opinion.

IMO you are not doing them too much. I do mine every week and have excellent water parameters. You answered your own question about your small bloom by saying that you use tap water. Salty27, I`m thinking your CC might need cleaning and more frequent PWC`s. What kind of water are you using for top off`s and PWC`s.

Back
Top Bottom