African Cichlids Fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I am having issues with fighting among my mixed African cichlids. I have 6 juvenile mixed africans in a 75 gallon tank and they all seem to be picking at each other. There is one in particular who has really taken a beating.

I lost one fish a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure of the cause of death. It could have been from fighting as there were no signs of illness in any of the fish.

One of the suggestions that I read is to get more fish in the tank. I've been slowly growing my tank (adding a few fish every 2-3 months). I was also thinking about quarantining the one fish that has been bullied the worst (he's always hanging near the top of the tank and doesn't eat as often).

Would I be wrong in taking these steps to help correct the problem? I may pick up 3-4 more fish this afternoon if it will help. The only quarantine tank that I have right now is a 5 gallon, but the one fish that needs quarantining is fairly small. What are your thoughts?

With Africans, hardscaping is a very important factor to help deal with aggression. Stocking different varieties of male Peacocks is a good way to start and mix in some easy Mbuna and Haps, like Acei, Red Fin Borleyi or a Yellow Lab.
Just don't randomly stock Africans. Post pics of your tank when convenient.

Thanks for the responses. I have a large piece of driftwood and two medium-sized rocks in the tank right now. Here are some pics that I had taken previously.

\

They all look a little beat up. You have a nice looking set up, but things will probably work out better with a lot more hardscape. Building tunnels, line of sight breaks and hiding spots will help things immensely.
I have to beef up the hardscapes on all of my tanks due to the varieties of cichlids I keep.

They all look a little beat up. You have a nice looking set up, but things will probably work out better with a lot more hardscape. Building tunnels, line of sight breaks and hiding spots will help things immensely.
I have to beef up the hardscapes on all of my tanks due to the varieties of cichlids I keep.

Thank you for the advice. I will see if I can find some rocks or something to add to the tank. My local fish store has a ton of rocks similar to the one you saw in the pictures, so maybe I can get more of them and stack them somehow.

Do your rock shopping at your local rock yard or landscape company. You'll have a vast selection of rocks to choose from, at a mere fraction of the price of the rocks for sale at the fish store.
Pictured is my 120 gal. Tank hardscaped with approx. 100 lbs. Of Texas Holey Rocks "Honeycombed" Limestone. All purchased from my local rock yard for about 20 cents per lb.
That stuff sells for $4.25 per pound at my LFS. Limestone would work well with your African cichlids. It's a lot of fun hunting for show rocks through the piles at the rock yard.

Attachments

• 20180301_100324.jpg
    20180301_100324.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 94
I found these rocks out in my back yard. Do you guys think they will be safe for my tank? I'm not sure if they've ever had insecticides or weed killer sprayed on them before. They've been out there for years.

Several of them have a lot of character. It's your call regarding possible exposure to toxins.
Might be better to collect some rocks from one of your Arkansas creek beds if you have any doubt. Be sure to rinse the crap out of them. Lol.

Several of them have a lot of character. It's your call regarding possible exposure to toxins.
Might be better to collect some rocks from one of your Arkansas creek beds if you have any doubt. Be sure to rinse the crap out of them. Lol.

I was thinking about soaking them for a few days at the very least.

The rocks look like they might be limestone. A good choice for African Cichlids.

On a side note, on Fathers Day, my middle daughter gifted me two bags full of African Cichlids. She knew I kept cichlids, but didn't know what type. I primarily keep Central Americans, Big Tetras and Botia Loaches. Surprisingly the new Peacocks and Mubunas are doing just fine. If things keep progressing I might start a new thread.

Thanks. I'm really starting to like the Africans. My New Worlds haven't been aggressive at all towards the new Africans. They really just ignore them. If things progress, I'll start a thread.

Back
Top Bottom