Cichlids and tigerbarbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madwack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to covert my 30g long to a planted tank. My questions is this. Currently I have 6 tigerbarbs in it. The tiger barbs are all mid sized. Will they do ok with the cichlids? Or will they be a snack? The cichlid tank has 7.2PH

FYI, My Cichlid tank is a 55G, with 6 4-5" Afercan Cihlids.

Tiger barbs are usually quick enough to stay away from cichlids, but there are no guarantees.

Just curious, why don't you want the barbs in a planted tank? They should do alright there, not likely to shred the plants or anything.

Since they're African cichlids, it might be okay, but I've always believed that a cichlid tank should be, well, a cichlid tank. If they were oscars or something, those barbs would be toast.

I wouldn't put your tiger barbs with the cichlids, if you don't want them in your planted tank take them back to your lfs. IMO i would leave them in the planted tank it is ideal for them.

I am converting my 30G to a planted tank. I will put the tigerbarbs back asap. But the reality will be.. 2 weeks or more in the cichlid tank. The cichlids I have are VERY aggressive. They have killed a Fiddler crab and ate the eyes out of one of my Gold Severums.. My Tiger barbs are very aggreissive too, so I was hoping things would be on the level.

All i can basically say is that you cichlids are african and they are very aggressive naturaly, the fiddler crab and severum should not be in there with them either.

Take the barbs out put them in a bucket with your filter on the bucket right before you gut the tank and add the new substrate (I'm guessing thats what your doing).

next question.

What would be the cheapest way to convert to a planted tank? Should I buy plants or just seed? Do I need to put a layer of soil or loam under the rocks? Someone told me I could goto homedepot and buy what I need for setting up a planted tank for dirt cheap, is this a fact?

I may just buy a 10G for the time being..

Back
Top Bottom