Common Pleco in 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently my girlfriend had bought a common Pleco and it seems to be harassed by her blood parrot and tiger barbs. It's fins had been nipped brutally.

I thought it might be best to separate them for now. My 55g is fully stocked with Africans and I have a10g that had been running with only MTS. Would it be ok to have the common Pleco in the 10g to recover for 2-3 weeks? It will be the only fish there, it is roughly 1-1.5 inch at the moment.

It seems unlikely that a pleco- which has armor, could have its fins nipped by soft-mouthed fish. Without pics, I can't tell, but jagged/fuzzy fins could be a bacterial or fungal infection. Either way, you will want to remove him to a quarantine tank, and treat with something like melafix for infections. The only problem I can see with keeping the pleco in the 10 gallon short term would be the snails- most medications, as well as salt, are harmful to invertebrates.

It seems unlikely that a pleco- which has armor, could have its fins nipped by soft-mouthed fish. Without pics, I can't tell, but jagged/fuzzy fins could be a bacterial or fungal infection. Either way, you will want to remove him to a quarantine tank, and treat with something like melafix for infections. The only problem I can see with keeping the pleco in the 10 gallon short term would be the snails- most medications, as well as salt, are harmful to invertebrates.

What about the tiger barbs? That's who I suspect could be doing the nipping

Maybe if you post a pic it would help. Should be fine in the 10g short term. Maybe when it gets bigger it will handle being in the tank with the big boys better?

Back
Top Bottom