Internal Parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so I've had about five dwarf puffers for some months. but slowly and surely i noticed one of them is getting really thin. His head is bigger than the rest of the body and his belly looks compressed from the side. I've tried Tetra Parasite Guard and API General cure, both have the ingredient for treating parasites. I've also went to Wal-Mart and got some canine dewormer after reading somebody's success using it. The strange thing i'm seeing is that the puffers don't get them together. it started with one, and that one died. and a little later another one shows the sign of thinning and died, and then some days later, the another one show signed of thinning. SIGH!!!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!!!!! Anyone who has successfully treated internal parasite please HELP ME!!!!!!

ps. i've recently purchased Levamisole HCL from eBay. Not sure about how effective it is.

ps. I'm down to my last puffer, i hope he doesn't get it:confused:

Also I have these puffers in a tank with other type of fish. They don't have sign of internal parasite. The parasite seems to be targeting puffers ONLY and it only catch onto my puffers after one dies.

What else is in the tank, is this a brackish set up?

Ok I know some people just assume all puffers are the same. What are your water parameters reading? Filters on your tank? Did you go through the nitrogen cycle? Everything else seems fine? Where did you purchase your puffers?

my parameters are spot on and the filtering system is great. everything is fine. in fact i have some german blue rams in there as well that are doing fine. i got my puffers from a local fish store and have had them since December. I only have one more left as my second to the last died yesterday from being "too skinny"

i'm also aware that dwarf puffers are not true puffers as they lack teeth/beak that other true puffers do. I'm familiar with the fact that they are delicate fish that can't go into tanks that are not well cycled.

Well what are your parameters? Gbrs arent really that difficult in ny eyes..if your not goinf to give me answers I cant help you.
What type of tank?
How long has it been set up?
How did you cycle?
What are your parameters and what do you use to test?
Filtration on the tank?
How often do you do a water change and how much at a time?

Well what are your parameters? Gbrs arent really that difficult in ny eyes..if your not goinf to give me answers I cant help you.
What type of tank?
How long has it been set up?
How did you cycle?
What are your parameters and what do you use to test?
Filtration on the tank?
How often do you do a water change and how much at a time?

1. planted tank
2. 9 months
3. i cycled using the filter media from my bigger 65 gallon freshwater tank also with decors from the established tank for faster cycling process
4. i have a master kit that i use. the parameters are 7pH, 0.0Amonia, 0.0Nitrite, <15ppm for Nitrate
5. canister filter with 5X turn-over rate
6. water change once/week or once/2 weeks depending on my work schedule. about 50-70% of water each time.

Weird, are you sure they ate eating right?

yes, i feed everyone in the tank, except otos, frozen bloodworms, live blackworms, pond snails, and occasionally flakes. Even the puffer that passed away yesterday ate everyday. it's just not getting as plumb as it used to be. when i feed, i make sure each one gets something to eat and just sit there watch them eat

and the thing is, all those treatments FAILED!!! i took out the carbon when applying the treatment as well. So i'm really scratching my head here.

Back
Top Bottom