Raw patch with Red outline on my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali448

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish has a bad spot on the side. It is whitish with a red ring around it. It looks similar to a pic in the fish disease manual under Wasting Disease & Ishmael TB. I got a good picture of it loaded into Dropbox. If some one can tell me how to get it in the forum & also help me with this problem, I'd be very grateful.
I did a 50% water change 4 days ago & added some salt. I also changed the parts inside my Rena II filter. No other fish seem ill.
The problem was there before the water change.
I've had the fish for about 8 months. I don't remember what it's called, it's bright yellow golden with a black spot just before tail fin & black spots on body. It is NOT a molly or in that family. I've had this 55 gal tank for about 13 years
Thank you for your help.

The picture is in Dropbox under publuc, but since I have a tablet, not a full PC I can't right click on it to get a link. Please help with that and the sick fish. Thanks

Hey coralbandit, if it is an injury, maybe some epsom salt baths in a separate container/QT?
Doesn't really look like columnaris, but it comes in so many forms that it is a possibility...hope not though! Good luck, Ali!

Thank you.
The fish is acting normal and eats well. I have noticed the other fish in this school nipping at him occasionally., but have no idea why they started doing it to begin with, maybe he had a small injury that they noticed.
They may be golden barbs. I'll have to check, but they are bigger than the barbs I'm familiar with. The body on the largest ones are about 3" & the black spots on theit bodies run in a horizontal line on both sides.I usually write down info for each fish variety in a log I named Tales of the Scales, but forgot to do it when I bought these beauties. They are very colorful and active fish.
I'm going to keep an eye on the boo boo. I thought about treating the tank with an antibiotic, but want to avoid that if possible to prevent messing up the current balance of the tank. I don't have a quarrantine tank to treat him separate,y.
Thanks again for your help. I'll try to keep an update here.

I just checked. They are definitely the gold barbs. Thanks for that info.

Hey coralbandit, if it is an injury, maybe some epsom salt baths in a separate container/QT?
Doesn't really look like columnaris, but it comes in so many forms that it is a possibility...hope not though! Good luck, Ali!

For external issue regular salt (or aquarium salt) is recommended.
Epsom salt would be for an internal issue usually like constipation.

I just checked. They are definitely the gold barbs. Thanks for that info.
Glad to helped a little.
Good luck.

Now he is swimming head down most of the time. Other fish are brushing along the bottom gravel sort of like early ick symptoms. I think I'll have to euthanize him. I have clove oil. According to what I read on this site that is a humane way to do it.
What are your thought on this way?

Back
Top Bottom