Red sore on my Red Tail Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlgrimmy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I was curious if anybody could help me diagnose and treat this issue with my catfish. I noticed an interesting blotch/rash developing on my catfish's back as well as some listlessness so I quarantined him in a 20 gallon rubbermaid tub to see if i could help him. The original tank is a 70 gallon tall filtered by a Cascade 1000 canister filter and a Penguin biowheel 350, so the water is crystal clear and of great quality (Currently the nitrates are under 20, nitrites at 0, water hardness at 120, buffering capacity is in the 240 range, and the pH is between around 7.6. My last water change (around 20%) was done about 4 days prior to the issue, but this issue was already starting before the water change. I noticed my featherfin catfish of similar size was chasing him occasionally, so he's probably stressed. None of the other fish in the tank show any unhealthy signs. They are all very active and are behaving normally. At first the sore/rash was cloudier. I've put the recommended 1 rounded tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water in the quarantine tank and raised the temperature to 82. Now the cloudiness is gone as you can see in the pictures, but the redness hasn't improved yet (he's only been in quarantine for a day though). Any ideas/recommendations?

Attachments

• 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 201
May have been an injury that got infected by bacteria and/or fungus.Is it possible he is scraping his back going into his favorite hidey hole? Does he need a bigger cave?
I'd say it is healing though.
What were your ammonia levels?
I would keep treating as you are, provide perfect water conditions, and document with pictures so you have a visual to reference when looking to see if he is improving.

I agree with EscVelocity, the cloudiness is most likely due to a secondary infection from an initial injury. I would keep a close eye on the red sore though, it could still be inflamed.
Definitely keep the water pristine, and see if there any topical antibiotic treatments that could help with the red sore. You would also need to research on compatibility of topical antibiotics... as I'm unsure whether it is a good idea on a catfish...

Back
Top Bottom