Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluedevil1550

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had my betta for about 6 months now, and the last week or he seems to have trouble swimming in the tank and hides behind his plant all day :( And when I try to feed him it seems like hes trying to swim, but it kinda looks like he is being forced down when trying to swim to the surface. I plan to go to the fish store to get medication, but I have no idea what to get. Thanks for the help. :)

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

You have answered some of these but some have not been answered so I copied and pasted the questions for you.. these are in our if you have a sick fish post....

nitrate 40
nitrite 0
hardness 300 8O
alkalinity 180
ph 7.8

ill put some easy balance in tonight and see what changes

1 fish, underground filter in 2 gallon tank, fed betta pellets,nothing new[/quote]

what is your ammonia reading?
my best guess is its 0 as well and if it is I would do a 75% water change..
please dont put in balance! 8O

your nitrate is high.. thus the advise for the big water change.. and I ment I would do the water change right now..
and adding any chemical is not nessisary unless its dechlorinator/tapwater detoxifier

I am so sorry your betta is sick :(
I agree with greenmagi, don't add any chemicals other than the tapwater dechlorinator. Other additives/chemicals can cause increased osmotic stress on your betta and actually make things worse. I know you want to cure your fish, but adding medication for an undiagnosed illness can be more harmful to your fish than not adding any. I understand the impulse, but would advise restraint when it comes to medicating fish.

The best medicine is a 75% water change. Make sure the new water is the same temperature as his aquarium water.

Let us know how things go with your betta.

Does the fish look constipated/bloated? Try fasting the fish a few days or maybe try peas. How does the fish look physically? Has the fish been eating?

I did the water change thing last night and he doesnt look any better :( Hes not bloated or anything, but when hes swimming, it looks like the back part of his body and tail isnt helping him swim, and he is only using his side fins to swim which I guess makes him exausted and he goes back down to the bottom.

A heater is always good if possible with betta fish, as they are very sensitive to water changes and temps. Is the tank by a heater/AC unit, or in an area that gets alot of temperature change? Test throughout the day if possible and see how much it flucuates. I doubt this is your problem however, but it could be contributing.

How big is your fish? Kinda of a generic quiestion, but when you look at other fish in the pet store, is yours larger than normal? It could be old, especially if it was bought from a retail store. Most bettas on average live just a few years, and stress (such as small tanks and unheated flucuating water temps) can contribute to a shorter lifespan. Alot of fish you see in the stores are already a few years old (1-2) and thus only have maybe a year to live. Something to think about. Sorry about your betta fish. :(

Hes about an inch long and he was rescued from walmart. I recently got my air conditioning fixed, which was a big temp change from about 81 degrees to 77, so that might have something to do with it. But what I was sayin about the back part of his body not helping him move, is that normal for sick bettas?

Well it seems like some sort of swim bladder thing but he doesn't look constipated and that's a major cause of swim bladder disease in bettas. Anyway has he been eating/pooping? Did you try the peas?

I agree with devilishturtles it could be old age. If I were you I would try an aquarium salt bath. It definitely couldn't hurt and here is a website where you can get more information.....

Maybe the salt will help....

http://www.petfish.net/swimbladder_betta.htm

Back
Top Bottom