Sick Cacatuoide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a double red male cacatuoide which I have had in a 20 gallon tank for a month now. He is housed with three females and blue rams. This fish ate like a pig and was the dominant fish in the tank (when I purchased these 4 fish he was already double the size of the females). However, over the last week, his stomach is grown to the point that it looks bloated and he is lying on the bottom of the tank. His scales are not protruding. He stopped eating last night. I feed this tank only once a day - flake & bloodworms (approx. twice a week). Partial water changes are done very 7 days. All of the other fish are here healthy - no sign of anything abnormal. I've done some research but cannot find any illness which might have a bloated stomach. This fish doesn't look like he will last much longer. Any ideas what might be ailing him??

He may be blocked up...not able to pass waste. Bloodworms are really high in protein and can cause bloating. Stop feeding the bloodworms. Offer more veggie enriched foods. As a remedy for the fish right now, offer some thawed out frozen peas taken out of the outer shell (outer shells of peas are difficult for the fish to penetrate). This should clean him out if this is the problem. If not it is a much welcomed treat :) Try this approach first. If it doesn't work, then there may be another problem. Always good to test the water to make sure everything there is ok.

A healthy feeding routine would be to offer two minutes worth of food per day divided into three or more feeds about 5 to 6 days of the week. If you feed the fish just once in the day, twice a week they may eat more in one feed than what their bodies need and much of it becomes wasted (not utilized). It gets eaten, but not absorbed and goes right through them then they have to wait too long for the next meal which may contribute to digestive problems. Feeding fish sparingly each feed and more often more of the food throughout the day is used by the fish's body and there's less waste.

The proper food is also important. Though many cichlids are carnivorous, most are omnivores and must have their veggies. Even carnivores need their veggies. Cacatuoids need their veggies. Bloodworms should only be an occassional treat. Offer a nice variety of foods...spiralina enriched brine shrimp, veggie flake (HBH has a good veggie food), and a tropical flake make a good staple with the occassional bloodworms, glassworms, and beef heart as treats.

Thanks for the advice. I was trying to condition both the cacatuoides and the blue rams for breeding. I was only feeding the frozen bloodworms twice a week and the other 5 days of the week it is flakes. I think you might be on track though because this fish literally was gorging himself. I hope he recovers. If he's not eating though - will he be tempted by peas. Should I QT him? I will also buy some veggie based flakes - any recommendations?

It's a good idea to QT the fish just in case it ends up being something else. Use a garlic additive to the food to help stimilate appetite. Kent Marine and SeaChem have these additives available.

I like the HBH veggie flakes or Ocean Nutrition's SeaWeed Selects Pleco Passion on a veggie clip.

I concur with TCT....and alwys be aware that all worms, even earthworm flakes, when fed excessively, can cause bloating and constipation.

Back
Top Bottom