sick goldish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saulog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a goldfish....is about 5 inches long and it has been acting weird for a couple of days. it used to be really active but now he just hides behind my filter intake tube. he seems to be stressed for some reason cuz he is always opening and closing his mouth. also i tried feeding him but he wouldnt take the food amd he always used to eat a lot.i dont understand whats happening. i also have another goldfish same size and he seems to be doing fine. he doesnt seem to have any itch. and i dont know what else he could have.

you're going to have to provide some more information before we can help... what size tank? What other fish in the tank? Water parameters?

is a 25 gallon tank i believe....i have two goldfish abt 5 inches and two gouramis about 2 inch plus a pleco about 1 inch long and two small tetras...im currently cycling my 75 gal tank so i had to put them in there to do fishless cycling.my water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0.50 and nitrate 5 ppm. nitrite is a little high i think cuz of bioload. i am currently gonna do a water change and then i was thinking of adding QuickCure to the water but i dont know if it ll affect my tetras.

is a 25 gallon tank i believe....i have two goldfish abt 5 inches and two gouramis about 2 inch plus a pleco about 1 inch long and two small tetras...im currently cycling my 75 gal tank so i had to put them in there to do fishless cycling.my water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0.50 and nitrate 5 ppm. nitrite is a little high i think cuz of bioload. i am currently gonna do a water change and then i was thinking of adding QuickCure to the water but i dont know if it ll affect my tetras.
Ok, good that you've got a 75g, that 25 is massively overstocked. So you think the fish have ich? Are you meaning ich in your first post when you said 'itch'? Im confused as to why you want to use quickcure...

If your 25 is cycled, then there is no need to crowd the fish to do fishless in the 75. All you need to do is to transfer some of your biofilter (part of the filter pads, some decor, substrate) from the 25 to the 75 & the tank can be quickly cycled. <Given enough material, you can cycle a tank instantly ... otherwise, you can cut down the time to just a few days.>

With the presence of nitrites in the 25, that tank is prob. going through a mini cycle from the bio-load. It is good that you are planning a big pwc. Get the water parameters under control first before worrying about using any meds. It is not good to just dump meds into a tank without a firm diagnosis. You are more likely to do more harm than good.

i meant that i didnt think it was itch cuz i didnt see any grains on the fish. yeah i ve been cycling the big tank for about two weeks and is almost ready for fish...ammonia is down to 0..only nitrites are high.. yeah i ll do a 50% pwc but i wanted to use quickCure in case it was parasites or something.

Don't use QuICKCure, it will kill your good bacteria. What is wrong with your fish where you think they might have a parasite?
Like JSoong said, just use the filter media in the smaller tank, put it in the 75G tank, and it will seed itself and you won't have to do the whole fishless cycling, and move the coldwater fish into the big tank.
You do know that gouramis are tropical fish right? And goldfish are coldwater?

im really sad to say that the poor goldfish didnt make it..it died this morning..i feel so bad for the poor fish..i tried to do all i could but i quess it wasnt enough...when i took it out though i noticed that his belly was kinda swollen so i made a little cut to see what it was..he had a big air bubble inside of him..what could this be? i want to know if it is something that could affect my other fishes. could it be parasites??

Usually swim bladder is not contagious, but if it's parasites, then yes, it can spread. :(

what would be a good course of action? should i add any med or just do pwc? i did a 50% pwc last night after the fish died just in case

Well, I would just keep an eye on the fish, and if they seem to be getting worse then I would medicate. I don't believe in medicating if you don't have to, and when I do, I usually only use Melafix and Pimafix because they are all natural and won't kill your biological filter.

Back
Top Bottom