finally a great pic of this shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
fluff, i know that you told me that this mysterious shell i have is a carnivorous shell, but he finally came out and i got some really good pics of him. what can you tell me about this guy now?

Is this a hitchhiker from florida rock? Looks like a conch, possibly a horse conch (due to the red foot) or simular. In that is the case, I believe they are algae consumers and shouldn't be a problem. Looks quite small. Has it grown much? Have you noticed any agression with it and other snails?

he is still pretty small. he has grown since i first noticed him, but like i said, still tiny. i have seen no aggression towards anything. usually when i can find him, he's hiding in a dugout or a hole in one of my rocks. about the rock being from florida, i really doubt it. not for sure, but being here in northern japan i don't see it being probable to ship rock in from so far away. i thought that i had seen that conchs are normally a problem. is that true? or are they only a problem because of how big they get?

Wow, I'm sorry. I totally missed your location. I'm gonna do some searching and see what I can find. Yes, some do get really large.

im pretty sure thats a conch of some sort, saw plenty of them while in the bahamas, people there love to eat them (the big ones)

They sell those at my LFS and tend to me a little aggressive when they get bigger if I am correct with ID.

I think you will be ok for 1-2 years.

Back
Top Bottom