Need ID on LFS seastar species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was finally able to get a picture of the " assorted bali stars " at the LFS. The thing was, the bali stars I found pics of online looked nothing like this. I could be wrong, but I know they've mislabeled stuff before.

Can anyone tell me what this species is? Easy to care for? Is it reef safe? Will it eat my fish, shrimp or other CUC??

thanks!!

Attachments

• starfish.JPG
    starfish.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 68
I would guess something in the protoreaster.sp family of knobby stars. More than likely not reef safe.

Looks to be Pentaceraster (Pentaster) alveolatus or at least from Pentaceraster. Probably not reef safe due to their aggressive feeding and usually on either sponge, Tridacna, crustaceans, and possibly corals...just some guesses.

Shoot. I'm hoping one of these days the LFS will have a seastar I can buy! ;-)

I imagine then that one would eat my CUC and feather dusters sounds like?

Sorry to but in, but Melosu58, what are the ups and downs of having a linkia? I'd really like to get one (reef tank candidate).

Why dont you consider a linknia?

Oh I have :) its just I find liveaquaria a bit expensive for shipping, and I cant seem to find a Linknia anywhere at any LFS within 80 miles.. lol. So I just try to see what the LFS has now and then.. I've tried to ask them to see if they could order one in, but no luck.

I`m sorry to hear that Catmel. I guess I`m spoiled as my LFS can order me anything I want.
Lynxpilot- With excellent water quality they do quite good. I`ve had my blue linknia about 4 yrs now. The maroon one about 2 yrs. You can check them out in my gallery. They are reef safe and seem to be out front alot. The only downside is they say they cannot be expossed to air. Whether this is true I`m not sure but if places like Liveaquaria say it I`m going to play it safe. They do need strict acclimation to your tank for sure.

I disagree on the linckia, no offense. Their mortality rate is very high and nobody seems to know exactly what they feed upon, which leaves most to starve within our systems. They are also very sensitive to acclimating and should be put through at least a 4hr drip acclimation. The biggest factors in acclimating procedures are salinity, temperature, and pH sensitivity. Most are doomed during the shipping process and to have one survive more than 1 year is still considered a rarity. It is a shame that with such beautiful animals, we know relatively little in terms of long-term care.

None taken James. But in away I kind of agree as they are not the hardiest of stars but I dont target feed mine and he`s been alive for 4 yrs. I wish I knew what I was doing right. LOL

Maybe it has something to do with the size of your system Mike, and the fact that it's been established for so long. Or, maybe you just have the magic touch :)

Back
Top Bottom