Please help identify.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

photoholic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone

I am very new to the hobby and I'm hoping you all can help me identify these items and determine whether or not these are tank healthy.

New aquarium, 5 weeks old.

thanks

RobertIMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Pics are kinda hard to tell but pic #1 looks like some sort of Sponge. Also Welcome to AA... (y)

I agree #1 looks like a sponge, or a possible x-mas tree coral. Hard to tell ill lean toward a sponge harmless and good looking.
not sure on #2,
#3 possible tube worm? - good if it is.
#4 - the forming of algae? possible coraline? good
#5 not sure what your showing us

#5 kinda looks like aiptasia... not good for aquariums. Hard to tell from the picture though, might be something good.
could it be a feather duster? not really sure but when i do go near it, it retracts itself.

Just wanted to add, I don't have much experience with their behavior, but if you look at videos of aiptasia and feather dusters retracting you should be able to tell which one yours is.

I think aiptasia will fold in on itself while feather duster will look more like it's retracting inside a tube.

could it be a feather duster? not really sure but when i do go near it, it retracts itself.

Aiptasia will appear to retract as well. A feather duster will vanish in the blink of an eye where aiptasia will do it much more slowly.

The first pic looks like a sponge. The third pic looks like a peanut worm (perfectly safe)

I can't really tell about the others.

hello
i have 2 clowns in my tank and they have dark marks on there body. im not sure if they are ill or they are being stung by something . i dont have eny coral but i have got some live rock with all sorts off cretins living on it. the most obvious that may sting are small what looks like Cotton wool buds. i also have what looks like sea anemones growing on it . i now clowns are immune but do they have to build their immunity or are they born with it.
thanks barry

Sometimes the dark marks are just part of their colouration.

If you have concerns, perhaps you could get some photos of the "sea anemones" you are worried about and start a new post in the ID forum. There are a lot of very good people who are members of this website that can ID just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom