Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
I have right around $500 to spend on a digital SLR. Im thinking the canon rebel or Nikon D. anyone suggest a camera for more serious shots? I use a canon powershot sd1100is for point and shoot

buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Newbie

At that price point, I'd go with canon. The Nikon entry-level line is crippled in that it does not have an internal focus motor which will not allow you to use many nice lenses. The rebels can use pretty much any Canon lens since 1990 or so.

But if you want to get great closeup fish photos then it is likely you'll need a macro setup, unless your fish are very large. But even the cheapest macro lenses would take up most of your budget. A cheaper way to go is to put an extension tube in between your camera and lens, which will give it better macro capabilities... but nothing beats a true macro lens.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Newbie

d90 and sigma 150-500mm....love it!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
i bought a canon rebel xsi and love the camera, just need to invest in some lenses. I will look into the 150-500mm thanks a bunch
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

150-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_red View Post
i bought a canon rebel xsi and love the camera, just need to invest in some lenses. I will look into the 150-500mm thanks a bunch
Budda, I'm curious if you ended up buying that lens? I have the same camera body as you (love it, but getting to know it!) and am wondering if that lens is a worthwhile investment for macro photography.

Thanks!
Jef
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sony Cybershot DSC HX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_red View Post
I have right around $500 to spend on a digital SLR. Im thinking the canon rebel or Nikon D. anyone suggest a camera for more serious shots? I use a canon powershot sd1100is for point and shoot
I just got a Sony Cybershot DSC HX1 with 9.1 megapixels and 20x zoom (no, that's not a typo). It's fabulous! Not only is the zoom just outrageous, but it's the first camera to feature sweeping panorama - I can take panoramic shots with it, without having to have a tripod, due to its technology. I believe it was $568. It is an SLR and you do not have to purchase the initial lens separately. If it matters to you, the lens is not a Zeiss lens - just an FYI.

It's my fourth Sony camera I've owned and I've been pleased with all of them. I got my first Sony Cybershot camera in 1998 and it took beautiful pictures. I also own a Cybershot DSC W290 (12.1 mp) and a Cybershot DSC W170 (10.1 mp), both of which also take really good pictures. My own experience has been that the Sony cameras are long lasting and of excellent quality. My first one finally experienced a problem after ten years of regular use. My other three Cybershots are going strong.

So, yeah, consider the Sony HX1 - it's somewhat cutting edge.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #77

I can't speak to Sony camera anymore, I switched over to Canon a few years ago and have been very, very happy. Sony was great as well.

I have the Canon 450D (Rebel XSI) and have been very happy with it. It takes great shots, but you will want to invest in a good tripod especially with aquarium photography. I think I also have the same model as you for point and shoot....great little camera.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #78
AA Team Emeritus

Ya'll check out B&H photo online for camera accessories. great prices IMO. I bought lenses and flash units from them. Even the guy at Ritz camera says his employee discount can't beat them.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Ya'll check out B&H photo online for camera accessories. great prices IMO. I bought lenses and flash units from them. Even the guy at Ritz camera says his employee discount can't beat them.
Agreed! B&H has EVERYTHING you could ever want camera wise.

the other thing that I've been told by friends who shop online with them, is that pretty much everyone you talk to is knowledgeable in photography.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

i use to have a Nikon f55 35mm??? with a 27 to 70 lense, bought a 70-300 zoom. then in 2007 i bought a olympus stylus 770 ( waterproof to 10ft, shockproof from a 5ft fall) and i so love this camera. if it broke i would cry..... then buy another in a heartbeat. mine is only a 7.1mp but they have 10 and 12 now. ive gone snorkeling in mexico, paintballing (mounted it to my gun) and sledding with this cam and it was well worth the 550$CDN.

and i would also love to get a Nikon digital SLR upwards of 1000$ just for the body.

and my cousin loves her Canon digital SLR

i have some videos on youtube of the paintballing if u look up jimmy pisstank

Tags
camera

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com