Camera Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really a "camera," but this is what I'm using (right now lol) to take pics.
202619790.jpg

30GB holds approximately:
7 hours 10 minutes at ULTRA (DVD movie) setting (8.5 Mbps)
10 hours 30 minutes at FINE (DVD cam) setting (5.5 Mbps)
14 hours 10 minutes at NORM (TV) setting (4.2 Mbps)
37 hours 30 minutes at ECO setting (Internet) (1.5 Mbps)
2.2-megapixel CCD (1.23 effective)
10X optical zoom (digital zoom to 300X)
F1.2 Bright Lens for better low-light performance
2-11/16" widescreen LCD
digital photo mode
top JPEG resolution: 1632 x 1224
photo flash
SD memory card slot
compatible with JVC CU-VD10 Share Station DVD burner
Dolby Digital 2.0 audio recording
four-way joystick controller for easier camcorder operation
widescreen (16:9) shooting mode
3-Dimension noise reduction for cleaner video
Megabrid Engine processes video and photos separately
auto and manual focus
shutter speeds: 1/2 - 1/4,000 seconds (video); 1/2 - 1/250 seconds (still photo)
program AE modes with special effects
audio/video output (including S-video)
high-speed USB interface
direct photo printing with PictBridge-compliant printers
3-1/16"W x 2-3/4"H x 4-3/4"D
weight: 14.2 oz. with battery

I just got a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 after researching for a point and shoot camera. I compared it's pictures with other cameras' pictures that were in the same class and the sony's had a more true color with sharper images. Also it's higher ISO levels don't produce much noise.

I know its an old thread, but I'm new here and a digital camera/photography freak. I currently shoot with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, 10.1 MP with lenses ranging from 17mm to 500mm. I carry 18GB worth of CF cards so I can shoot until my finger falls off...and still have memory for the other hand!!!

That what i got (PS - that just a pic off google search i haven't takin a pic of my camera lol)
I have a Canon Powershot sx100 is with a 10x zoom
and image stablizer
also has aquarium mode on it
i am still getin used to it so my pics are alttle burry but it works good

I need some help actually. Iu'm buying a new camera today, mine went on the fritz about 2 months ago and I've been using my camera phone. Coolpix or sony cyber shot...i cant decide

Everyone has really nice camera's no wonder my photo's suck in comparison. I got a cheap fujifilm FinePix A345 Bought it like 4years ago for $200 (probably worth 20 bucks now Camera's have gotten 10 times as good since then. Makes me afraid to buy another one because in 4more years they will have improved a great deal more

I just bought a Sony Cybershot DSC H50 it is the best $400 dollars I have ever spent in my entire life. It captures my life picture perfect I have taken about 80 photo's and when I connect it to my TV it plays the photo's like a Professional video session with some really good background music. I makes my heart melt when I look at my kids faces. I took some pics of my friends and played them at thier house and the actually cried a tear. Well worth the money the photo's are perfect.
It also has a smile detection mode so it wont snap a shot until someone smiles and it has night vision mode with a lithuim battery that last a long time.

i use a kodak easy share z650 6.1 mega pixels works great for my tank tho sometimes you have to be paitient and wait for the fish not go to the fish cause it takes a min to focus in. through the glass and water

I have right around $500 to spend on a digital SLR. Im thinking the canon rebel or Nikon D. anyone suggest a camera for more serious shots? I use a canon powershot sd1100is for point and shoot

At that price point, I'd go with canon. The Nikon entry-level line is crippled in that it does not have an internal focus motor which will not allow you to use many nice lenses. The rebels can use pretty much any Canon lens since 1990 or so.

But if you want to get great closeup fish photos then it is likely you'll need a macro setup, unless your fish are very large. But even the cheapest macro lenses would take up most of your budget. A cheaper way to go is to put an extension tube in between your camera and lens, which will give it better macro capabilities... but nothing beats a true macro lens.

150-500

i bought a canon rebel xsi and love the camera, just need to invest in some lenses. I will look into the 150-500mm thanks a bunch
Budda, I'm curious if you ended up buying that lens? I have the same camera body as you (love it, but getting to know it!) and am wondering if that lens is a worthwhile investment for macro photography.

Thanks!
Jef

Sony Cybershot DSC HX1

I have right around $500 to spend on a digital SLR. Im thinking the canon rebel or Nikon D. anyone suggest a camera for more serious shots? I use a canon powershot sd1100is for point and shoot

I just got a Sony Cybershot DSC HX1 with 9.1 megapixels and 20x zoom (no, that's not a typo). It's fabulous! Not only is the zoom just outrageous, but it's the first camera to feature sweeping panorama - I can take panoramic shots with it, without having to have a tripod, due to its technology. I believe it was $568. It is an SLR and you do not have to purchase the initial lens separately. If it matters to you, the lens is not a Zeiss lens - just an FYI.

It's my fourth Sony camera I've owned and I've been pleased with all of them. I got my first Sony Cybershot camera in 1998 and it took beautiful pictures. I also own a Cybershot DSC W290 (12.1 mp) and a Cybershot DSC W170 (10.1 mp), both of which also take really good pictures. My own experience has been that the Sony cameras are long lasting and of excellent quality. My first one finally experienced a problem after ten years of regular use. My other three Cybershots are going strong.

So, yeah, consider the Sony HX1 - it's somewhat cutting edge.

I can't speak to Sony camera anymore, I switched over to Canon a few years ago and have been very, very happy. Sony was great as well.

I have the Canon 450D (Rebel XSI) and have been very happy with it. It takes great shots, but you will want to invest in a good tripod especially with aquarium photography. I think I also have the same model as you for point and shoot....great little camera.

Ya'll check out B&H photo online for camera accessories. great prices IMO. I bought lenses and flash units from them. Even the guy at Ritz camera says his employee discount can't beat them.

Ya'll check out B&H photo online for camera accessories. great prices IMO. I bought lenses and flash units from them. Even the guy at Ritz camera says his employee discount can't beat them.
Agreed! B&H has EVERYTHING you could ever want camera wise.

the other thing that I've been told by friends who shop online with them, is that pretty much everyone you talk to is knowledgeable in photography.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

i use to have a Nikon f55 35mm??? with a 27 to 70 lense, bought a 70-300 zoom. then in 2007 i bought a olympus stylus 770 ( waterproof to 10ft, shockproof from a 5ft fall) and i so love this camera. if it broke i would cry..... then buy another in a heartbeat. mine is only a 7.1mp but they have 10 and 12 now. ive gone snorkeling in mexico, paintballing (mounted it to my gun) and sledding with this cam and it was well worth the 550$CDN.

and i would also love to get a Nikon digital SLR upwards of 1000$ just for the body.

and my cousin loves her Canon digital SLR

i have some videos on youtube of the paintballing if u look up jimmy pisstank :)

Back
Top Bottom